The Trip - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: shaggy292 @ 5th April 2014, 7:15 AM BST

Out of interest, and without wishing to sound rude, what were you expecting?

New impressions and a plot that continued from where it left off last time rather than just resetting itself.

Looks like this might take a while to get going again.

Is there not a back story to this one, like series 1 with Steve and his girlfriend back home?

Good

The 'back story' from series 1 was flimsy and pretty pointless and added nothing to the show

I'd rather they stick to talking bollocks and trying to out-Michael Caine each other

Quote: jhmagic1 @ 5th April 2014, 9:48 PM BST

Is there not a back story to this one, like series 1 with Steve and his girlfriend back home?

Brydon mentioned something about being "off the leash" - maybe he might start having a bit more 'fun'?

I was excited for the return and within 10 seconds of the "out doing" each other I remembered "Oh yeah I found the first series very annoying"

Quote: G180e @ 4th April 2014, 10:34 PM BST

it's almost like Rob and Steve haven't been away.

They haven't, why do you think it took 3 years for the 2nd course? It takes a few days to book some restaurants and write a token script. And I doubt Italy needed a travel ad. It's more indulgent than Italy itself, which is saying something.

Brilliant stuff. I laughed throughout.

Quote: blahblah @ 5th April 2014, 10:58 PM BST

I was excited for the return and within 10 seconds of the "out doing" each other I remembered "Oh yeah I found the first series very annoying"

Why were you looking forward to watching something that you found very annoying in the first place? Did you not think before watching "oh yeah, this really annoyed me the first time around so I'll give it a miss cos if I watch it again it'll just annoy me again" or do you just like getting annoyed and having a bit of a moan?

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 6th April 2014, 6:51 PM BST

Why were you looking forward to watching something that you found very annoying in the first place? Did you not think before watching "oh yeah, this really annoyed me the first time around so I'll give it a miss cos if I watch it again it'll just annoy me again" or do you just like getting annoyed and having a bit of a moan?

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 6th April 2014, 6:51 PM BST

I quite enjoy the show itself, not great comedy but very soothing, but I find the childish out doing stuff very annoying, as mentioned, and difficult to watch. I suppose I was looking forward to it 'cause I was thinking about the part of the show I like and forgetting about the other stuff. Guess I'm just a glass half full kinda guy :D

Splendid to see begrudgery is still alive and well and doing great business.

My view is that this show is brilliant. No need (IMO) to overanalyse the 'craft', 'technique' or general quality of the material. Just smile, and if so moved, maybe, as the kids say, LOL.

Undoubtedly the funniest comedy in the past 5 years. Brydon must be one of the most 'affable' comedians around, and as for Coogan, he is simply peerless.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ 6th April 2014, 10:06 PM BST

Splendid to see begrudgery is still alive and well and doing great business.

My view is that this show is brilliant. No need (IMO) to overanalyse the 'craft', 'technique' or general quality of the material. Just smile, and if so moved, maybe, as the kids say, LOL.

Undoubtedly the funniest comedy in the past 5 years. Brydon must be one of the most 'affable' comedians around, and as for Coogan, he is simply peerless.

Not sure if this post is aimed at me, but if it is I am certainly not begrudging anyone of anything. This show is not my favourite and I made a comment after the first episode to that effect (highlighting what part I didn't like)and only made my second comment to reply to someone else. I have no personal problems with the shows stars or makers it is as simple as the show is not my favourite.
The fact I am not overly keen on it does not mean I want people to join my gang in anyway. If people love it, good for them it's something on tele that you look forward to, what comedy fan doesn't want that?

Quote: blahblah @ 6th April 2014, 9:05 PM BST

I quite enjoy the show itself, not great comedy but very soothing, but I find the childish out doing stuff very annoying, as mentioned, and difficult to watch. I suppose I was looking forward to it 'cause I was thinking about the part of the show I like and forgetting about the other stuff. Guess I'm just a glass half full kinda guy :D

Oh, so it was just the one-upmanship that irritated you? Your original post read like the whole show annoyed you.

As I said before, I can handle the impressions because it ties in with the underlying theme of desperation with these two characters. I think if you can look at it like that then it becomes more than just a vehicle for cheap laughs.

I know what you're saying, but it just makes me bite my fists. It just seems such an awkward situation and I feel for the other customers in the restaurant

More of same self indulgent twaddle - it's just a retread of the first but this time in sunnier, drier climes!