The 10ish Minute Show

So I have a plan to create a short, regular monthly podcast. It would be made up of sketches written by you folks. I really liked the idea of the now defunct Football Special as it kept me writing regularly, and I miss doing that.

Each sketch should be under 2 mins and it can be on anything you like.

I've got a male and female actor and a music guy. I plan to put the show on itunes/ soundcloud and make a wordpress type website for it.

Here's a sample sketch we made for it https://soundcloud.com/corrsketches

If you could send me scripts by 7th March I will try and put ep.1 together for the end of that month.

No money involved, I would like that to change though. Make sure your script is set out like a radio sketch, check examples on BBC Writersroom.

I've no idea how many folk will submit but lets say a 2 sketches per writer per show just now.

Looking forward to reading your stuff. Best to send questions and scripts via email. I'll keep you up to date via twitter.

email congaofroughriders@gmail.com

Twitter @CORRsketches

Cheers.

Michael,

Nice sketch.

I'm with you, I miss that podcast. I'm not sure they got the credit they deserved for putting together a weekly, animated show of such quality.

I have a few questions:

How often do you think you can get an episode out?

It seems that most podcasts, radio shows, etc. have structure (a category that changes each episode, one topic, like the Football Special, or the news).
Yours will just be sketches about anything and everything? Do you plan to have a presenter?

Can we go all out gross? Is swearing, etc. OK?

Does the music guy accept songs or will he be just writing his own?

Will you be promoting ep 1 before it's ready? Will you have the website up in advance?

I was told by someone far better than me that you should never write for no money. But this does sound very interesting and well done for taking the initiative.

Mike

Hi Michael

Good luck to you. Putting together our own sketch show has led to so many more opportunities for us.

Is this sports-based or 'anything goes' sketches?

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th February 2014, 9:46 AM GMT

I was told by someone far better than me that you should never write for no money. But this does sound very interesting and well done for taking the initiative.

And, conversely, I was told to 'do everything, case everything, even if it means doing stuff for no money' and that is working well at the moment, if I'm honest!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 25th February 2014, 12:59 PM GMT

And, conversely, I was told to 'do everything, case everything, even if it means doing stuff for no money' and that is working well at the moment, if I'm honest!

Dan

I know it's precious and righteous to say don't work for nothing. I'm not saying I agree either. You just have to be wary of those who end up making a good reputation, or even big bucks, after you've helped them get there and when you're on to your next free gig.
Everyone has to start somewhere and I don't expect anyone will give out money if you say 'I've got a great idea for a podcast'. But in the end, I think it was lack of money (or at least return on investment) that did for the Football Special.

So I hope this succeeds big time and everyone does well out of it, and sorry for going off topic.

Mike.

Thanks for the questions guys.

For the first episode I'm not going to have a theme, just to keep it open. If it takes off then I'll probably do a theme per episode.

I aim to make it monthly, hopefully that will come down to every 2 weeks eventually.

It's not sports based any sketch, as long as it's short and funny, will do.

I aim to have all the web stuff up in advance. I'm hoping the writers/ potential writers will help create some buzz about it via social media.

In terms of taste, I have a fairly dark sense of humour but just don't be horribly offensive.

As for music if you have a song that's already recorded then we could use it.

I think that's everything.

I'm in. Very impressed by the professional recording and great comedy voices!

My only credentials are featuring on the Josh Widdicombe
show under the alias 'Jimmy Pickle' and getting stuff on 'Cracked.com' but that's all the blind encouragement I need.

Just a reminder the deadline for this is Friday.

I missed the deadline this time around. am I to assume the deadline is the first week of every month for submissions?

Update!

Meeting with actors on Tues for a read through.

I can't offer any feedback on scripts, not enough time, sorry about that. Please be sure to send something polished.

Had a good number of scripts so thanks for that!

We may need to edit things down a bit. We'll see what they read like.

I THINK I will ask for scripts at the start of each month, I'll have a better idea once I know how long the first one takes to put together.

I'm not looking for any recurring characters YET.

I'm setting up a wordpress page just now. If anyone has tips on this or a good theme to use then let me know. It doesn't look too hard to do, just time consuming.

Just heard the first ep, lovely work!

I had a listen.
Very good!

Anyone got a link to these?

EDIT:
It's okay. Found it! http://the10ishminutesshow.podbean.com/2014/03/29/episode-one-of-the-10ish-minute-show/

Dan

Just listened to this. It's really good. Well done all.

My particular favourite was "Body swap".

Let's see if I can be organised enough to send you something for Ep2.

(PS Thanks for the link Dan.)