Newsjack - Series 10 Page 31

Did we really think of the same joke, kinda obvious I guess.

Quote: Bonzo @ 24th March 2014, 11:58 AM GMT

I only sent one sketch this week. World News - Father with 98 kids.

He's got 99 problems, and one ain't his kids...

Quote: sootyj @ 24th March 2014, 12:43 PM GMT

Did we really think of the same joke, kinda obvious I guess.

Not really.
Unfortunately yours was funnier than my whole sketch.

That's ok Micheangelo said the same thing to me.

Sent my one liners for this week. I don't hold out much hope to be honest, this new format is very hard to write for.

I just can't bring myself to even bother trying to write one liners now. I found myself looking through a list of BBC TV shows on Wikipedia at work earlier and trying to write a hilarious pun about Thongs of Praise. You know because songs sounds like thongs.

I found there was a real sense of achievement in constructing a short intro or a jackapp to sum up a news story in seasons past. Trying to come up with just random puns is somewhat soul destroying in comparison.

There was also the link between the sketches and one liners that allowed you to turn one into the other. A sketch might not work out but you found yourself with a decent one liner or what started out as small joke could be grown into a sketch.

This new series just appears random and lazy in comparison and I do hope that Romesh and the two new producers are called in to the headmistresses office at the end of term to explain just what they're playing at.

Anyway rant over. Good luck all!

Quote: Winger @ 24th March 2014, 6:42 PM GMT

I just can't bring myself to even bother trying to write one liners now. I found myself looking through a list of BBC TV shows on Wikipedia at work earlier and trying to write a hilarious pun about Thongs of Praise. You know because songs sounds like thongs.

You should have gone with Mongs of Praise so they can get a Ricky Gervais impression in.

Quote: AndyGilder @ 24th March 2014, 12:55 PM GMT

He's got 99 problems, and one ain't his kids...

:D

Though doesn't it scan better/closer to the original as:
He's got 99 problems and his kids ain't one.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 24th March 2014, 6:59 PM GMT

Though doesn't it scan better/closer to the original as:
He's got 99 problems and his kids ain't one.

Except that he has 99 problems, and 98 of them are his kids. :)

Will tune in again this week to see if there's any kind of return to the news broadcast format. After that, I'll just accept change happens and it's no longer 'my bag'.

Phew! Just submitted 9 one-liners. Been a busy evening... also sent my sitcom mission script off, and my writersroom script... time for bed now. :)

Already got most of my one liners written for week 5, barring any topic inspiration this weekend.

Quote: Bonzo @ 25th March 2014, 12:25 AM GMT

Phew! Just submitted 9 one-liners. Been a busy evening... also sent my sitcom mission script off, and my writersroom script... time for bed now. :)

Well done! I thought I wrote some good lines the first couple of weeks and, as I don't think I can do better, have lost interest in those now.

You sending in to the BBC? Is this a rewrite or have I missed a window?

Mike.

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th March 2014, 8:04 AM GMT

I think the current window is for drama.

Quote: mikemcc @ 25th March 2014, 8:04 AM GMT

Well done! I thought I wrote some good lines the first couple of weeks and, as I don't think I can do better, have lost interest in those now.

Mike.

Thank you. The BBC writersroom is the "drama" script room. I've sent a 60 mins comedy drama.

I don't ever hold out much hope but you've got to be in it to win it!

Quote: Bonzo @ 25th March 2014, 8:52 AM GMT

Thank you. The BBC writersroom is the "drama" script room. I've sent a 60 mins comedy drama.

I don't ever hold out much hope but you've got to be in it to win it!

OK, I've got a week (almost).

Good luck Bonzo!