Newsjack - Series 10 Page 27

Quote: sootyj @ 18th March 2014, 12:51 PM GMT

Goes to show Newsjack is impressively egalitarian, favouring neither the famous nor the funny.

Can I get a "BOOM!"?

Still not sure on these one liners yet. Had a couple of nice lines, but I still want to make them topical; the 'random joke thing that might be coming up later' is rather to open for my liking. (Also feel it's a dangerous road to go down comedy wise, but I guess that's up to the producers)

Quote: Park Bench @ 17th March 2014, 8:34 PM GMT

I've sent a single one-liner in, about a raisin. I know they don't like the currant stuff.

Laughing out loud

In the unlikely event that a sketch about gap-year students working as executioners gets recorded tonight, can someone please give me a shout? Ta.

Quote: Winger @ 14th March 2014, 1:42 AM GMT

Well looks like the attempt to make this into the Romesh Ranganathan vehicle has picked up even more momentum since last weeks disappointing opener.

Just interview after interview sketch, presumably because Romesh can't really do any other role than himself. In fact he seems to have nestled into acting more like a compère than a stand up.

Some of the one liners were just bizarre. And having taking away the topicality a lot of them just sound like recycled old jokes with no relation to the rest of the show. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if by having taking out the topicality they've opened themselves up to quite a few plagiarised jokes being sent in.

No satire, or certainly not what I recognise as satire. It almost seems that they've made a very deliberate choice to remain completely apolitical and just concentrate on celebrities and sport.

Overall, now just a very bizarre tabloid version of what used to be a genuinely funny and often cutting broadsheet comedy show.

I caught the second episode last light. Ditto the above. The one-liners were very meh and unfunny. Mind you, I do admit I did grin at "Miley Cyrus stuck to lamp post during cold spell."

The only sketch which raised a smile from me was the Claims sketch at the end, especially the woman off work for two years because of the stress of the Tesco self-service till.

Luckily, I then looked at "Other Radio Shows You May Like" on the iPlayer Radio thingy and discovered a League Of Gentlemen episode which cheered me up. (Except for the rubbish 4 Extra radio announcer who didn't seem know who LoG were.)

Think I've got spare for tonight but you've got less than an hour to get here.
its at the rada building not bbc tonight.

contact me via twitter @radiogagger rather than private message on here

Quote: radiogagger @ 19th March 2014, 6:08 PM GMT

Think I've got spare for tonight but you've got less than an hour to get here.
its at the rada building not bbc tonight.

contact me via twitter @radiogagger rather than private message on here

If it's anything like last time at RADA you should already be queueing.

Mike.

Hope the recording was good fun tonight and that no one got heckled.

By the way, if anyone was there for episode 2, was that a scripted heckle?

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 19th March 2014, 10:25 PM GMT

Hope the recording was good fun tonight and that no one got heckled.

By the way, if anyone was there for episode 2, was that a scripted heckle?

I was there, it wasn't - a couple people in the audience got a little chatty.

Any reports from last nights recording? Are we going to hear any more heckling this week?

Heckling a plenty last night and a running score of Romesh performance out of 10
(starting at 7 and dropping as low as 4 throughout the recording)

Sketches:
Bitcoin ATM in shoreditch
Eastenders in 3D
Ebbsfleet - ghost town run by George (Osborne)
Etonian infested flat.
Romesh interviews 16 year old tech/app millionaire
Fearn Cotton (Morgana) interviews someone in Fearne Cotton style.
Elmo from the muppets interviews Alex Salmon
ANdy Murray buys hotel - BEST SKETCH/PREMISE OF THE NIGHT AND THEY SAVED BEST TILL LAST (Ps Alas no, I didn't write it)

One Liner - George Osborne announces Budget Day Stadium Tour

The rest of the one-liners, while amusing, are not so memorable, because the topical edge has gone. A few very bad puns in the COMING UP/BREAKING NEWS/TV LISTNGS.
Is this the future of the show?

PPS Heard a rumour that Roy Hudd is guest hosting next week...

Yes, quite a bit of heckling because of technical difficulties but thought Romesh handled everything really well.

You missed one sketch off that I recall - letters between Gary Neville & Keira Knightley.

Some serious groaners in the oneliners - pleased to say I managed to get one in, though, and it was topical (about the Crimea referendum) so perhaps all is not lost.

Agree about Andy Murray sketch - slightly annoying as I was working on an Andy Murray sketch myself this week but it would've been unlikely to have ended up as funny as the one they recorded last night! Loved the George Osborne/Ebbsfleet sketch as well.

Looking forward to the edit (mainly to see if my gag makes the cut).

Quote: radiogagger @ 20th March 2014, 11:51 AM GMT

A few very bad puns in the COMING UP/BREAKING NEWS/TV LISTNGS.

Hey don't start raising my hopes now Radiogagger
I was going to have my e mail switched off today

Quote: jabashe @ 20th March 2014, 12:00 PM GMT

Yes, quite a bit of heckling because of technical difficulties but thought Romesh handled everything really well.

You missed one sketch off that I recall - letters between Gary Neville & Keira Knightley.

Some serious groaners in the oneliners - pleased to say I managed to get one in, though, and it was topical (about the Crimea referendum) so perhaps all is not lost.

Agree about Andy Murray sketch - slightly annoying as I was working on an Andy Murray sketch myself this week but it would've been unlikely to have ended up as funny as the one they recorded last night! Loved the George Osborne/Ebbsfleet sketch as well.

Looking forward to the edit (mainly to see if my gag makes the cut).

AH, The Neville/Knightley sketch. Yeah that was great, that and Murray best of the night perhaps?
The Ebbsfleet one is not my cup of tea to write or listen, but I appreciate there's a big audience for it.

I was going to write something similar on the Crimea 96% vote, couldn't get the wording right, (yours was quite wordy - a couple of sentences? I always aim to go headline/punchline) instead I went for the option of after Crimea leaving Ukraine, Berwick leaving scotland.
Your line will definitely get in. Well it should, you know what I mean. If not, I'll eat Pippa's shoes...

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 20th March 2014, 12:03 PM GMT

Hey don't start raising my hopes now Radiogagger
I was going to have my e mail switched off today

DM me your lines, or put subjects on here, I'll see if I recall.

I've just read them all again
I don't think my inbox is in any danger
:D

Only ten sketches? Was that it? I'm sure they used to record double that.