Newsjack - Series 10 Page 24

Quote: James Salisbury @ 13th March 2014, 11:35 PM GMT

Not sure about the 'Is your cat a drug dealer' line, what was that about?

Odd. Unless there's been another minor news story I missed, it looks like unexpected surreal lines are the way to go...

Listen up for "Is Friday blue?", "Why penguins like chairs" and "Does topical radio comedy exist?"

There was a news story during the last series (iirc) that I wrote a sketch on, about a cat being used to smuggle drugs into a Mexican prison. I don't think they mentioned that story at all at the time. So it's sort of topical if you count anything from the past 6 months...

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 13th March 2014, 10:59 PM GMT

Which one or more did they use Tony?

And anyone else who got anything on

I got two "Breaking News" lines on, the hugger one and the etch-a-sketch/badly shaken up one.

Quote: David Catstrey @ 13th March 2014, 3:32 PM GMT

I entered a Ricky Gervais, Muppet movie one liner but not a sketch so that's not mine.

I did enter a Russell crowe breaking news one liner so, you've got my hopes up big time!

Thanks, and if I don't get on, I'll be holding you responsible!!

:)

Well I didn't get on.

That wasn't my Russell Crowe One liner, mine was about the new Noah film.

No offence intended to anyone but the "they think its all over" TV reference is a bit dated isn't it? It works well enough but is that really the best topical gag at the moment? When compared with some of the one liners found in the 'one-liners' thread on this website I feel that much more is being overlooked.

Is it because there is a lot of similar gags that they discount them and go with something 'unique' over something that, to me, may seem funnier?

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board. - is there a writing equivalent to this?

Sorry for my rant, I'm new to this.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 14th March 2014, 10:03 AM GMT

I got two "Breaking News" lines on, the hugger one and the etch-a-sketch/badly shaken up one.

Two gags that stood out positively, the presenters seemed to enjoy doing them and the audience responded well to them.

Fair Play Tony.
:)

Not listened to this week's show yet. Is it worth reading the papers to find topics for next week's show, or should I just alter my existing material to fit the tone of the show ?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 14th March 2014, 10:03 AM GMT

Etch-a-sketch was my favourite one liner of the show, nice one!

Quote: Park Bench @ 14th March 2014, 10:20 AM GMT

Not listened to this week's show yet. Is it worth reading the papers to find topics for next week's show, or should I just alter my existing material to fit the tone of the show ?

To be honest, I didn't really understand the new guidelines fully so I didn't send anything in for the first show, I just thought I'd listen to see what got on and see if that gave me more idea of what they were looking for.

It seems to me that the sketches are still fairly topical but the one liners have virtually no connection to what's actually in the news, what they seem to want is "Two Ronnies" and "The Day Today" style headlines, so either daft punny style lines or something slightly more surreal.

The opening gambit on the show still refers to taking a look at the news in a satirical way, but in reality more and more of the material on the show has no relevance to the news.

I must admit I'm struggling to know what to send in at the moment.. It won't stop me trying though!!!!

Russell Crowe is an actual crow.

Anyone else tempted to send in all their one liners for shows 3-6 this week?

Alexander Armstrong has strong arm
Stuart Hall once visited a hall
John Snow hates snow
Michael Fish is a fish
Fearne Cotton likes cotton
Liam Fox is a fox
Gary Lineker likes crisps (not sure that one works)

that's me done for the series..

Quote: Sheepstar @ 14th March 2014, 9:13 PM GMT

John Snow hates snow
Michael Fish is a fish
Liam Fox is a fox

Haha.....

The process behind this made me laugh more than every Newsjack combined, you're going to be in the money when you send off these bad-boys, hope nobody steals...

Seriously though, why aren't others disgusted at that Russell Crowe joke? Nobody's biting, 'Russell Crowe is an actual crow'....

Quote: Sheepstar @ 14th March 2014, 9:13 PM GMT

John Snow hates snow
Michael Fish is a fish
Liam Fox is a fox

Ethan Hawke is a Hawk
John Nettles is some nettles
Keith Lemon is a lemon
George W. Bush is a bush
Jimmy Carr has a car
Minnie Driver drives a Mini

I got a better one...

Sheryl Crowe is an actual crow.

Quote: curtis patrick @ 14th March 2014, 10:06 PM GMT

I got a better one...

Sheryl Crowe is an actual crow.