Blogging advice / feedback

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and am looking for a few pointers. After meaning to start a blog for many years (predominantly based around silliness and ridiculous experiences I've had), I have finally taken the plunge. It's for me and my friends / family to laugh at, but if anyone else gets a chuckle out of it then that's a bonus!

I love hearing others' stupid and often highly embarrassing tales so I thought I'd set up a warts and all account doing exactly that.

I'm really enjoying writing the posts and have plenty more material, but I'm not too sure where to take it next. Does anyone have any pointers for the best way to promote your blog to the right audience?

Also any feedback you have on the blog so far would be gratefully received

It can be found at http://embracingtheidiotic.wordpress.com/

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

Hello and welcome Wave

You are in a very, very, VERY crowded market when it comes to blogs. I'm not really quite sure of the best strategy for promotion. But if your heart is in it and people come across it by chance, there's no reason you won't pick up a few followers.

What are your goals? Fame, fortune, both? You could by an advert, from a site such as this or just put snippets on Twitter as well as links to the "full story".

Hi

Lee's right it's a crowded market out there, but that's not an excuse to not have a go.

But first of all your post about blogging is confused, you're planning on starting a blog but you've already got one. So what is it new blog or improve the existing one.

Next blogs need to be about as few things as possible, your's is about everything funny. No one's going to read that.

And finally blogs need to be attractively presented and well written.

Your's is neither. It's not terrible, it's just well a bit average.

Working on giving the page it's self a more attractive appearance, sharpen the writing. Aim for less than 1000 words, with a killer intro line and plenty of well designed jokes. As well as absolutely no verbage of which you have too much.

Once written get thee to the twitter coal face, facebook and just keep promoting it in an upbeat entertaining way. Follow appropriate hashtags. Keep it relevant contact relevant sites that might host it.

Above all else get that hook.

Good luck.

nb you could look at Stott's Dr Who blog. In a crowded market place he seems to be doing well, by having a well designed page and a certain single mindedness of vision.

Thanks for this. The goal isn't fame and fortune, just to have a bit of a laugh. I wanted some feedback and will take your comments on board, edit away at the posts and carry on :)

Mini pork pie on bed of creamed spinach. That's inspired!