The 'Fifth Beatle' of sitcoms Page 3

Tim McInnery on Blackadder?
Admittedly he did actually appear in series 3, but only as a guest in 1 episode and he did return in 4 (also missing the Christmas Carol special) as he didn't want to be typecast and then realised what he was missing out on . . . or should this be another thread? . . . quitting only to come back cap in hand a couple of series later . . . Chris Barrie on Red Dwarf? . . . Brian Wilde on Last of the Summer Wine? . . . or maybe the Larry David syndrome (as given to George in Seinfeld, quits only to pretend it never happened).

Quote: Unavailable @ 1st March 2014, 4:09 AM GMT

...Brian Blessed on the first Blackadder?

It's a shame they didn't use Blessed again...at least as a one off per series. He would have been great as the Bishop of Bath & Wells in BA 2. or as Wellington in 3.

...or Robbie Coltrane's part on the kwezniz special...

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 26th February 2014, 11:53 PM GMT

Private Cheeseman (who replaced Walker for one series) was sort of a fifth Beatle although he came and went while it was at the height of its popularity.

I loved that character! :)

Dor, there's luverly isn't it boyo........

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st March 2014, 9:19 AM GMT

It's a shame they didn't use Blessed again...at least as a one off per series. He would have been great as the Bishop of Bath & Wells in BA 2. or as Wellington in 3.

Agree about the Bishop, although the man who played him was sufficiently menacing and grotesque - not sure about Wellington though as Brian is physically totally different the Duke. Ummmm, maybe........

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 1st March 2014, 5:07 AM GMT

Tim McInnery on Blackadder?

Still chuckle about the enormous ruff he wore because it was the height of fashion Laughing out loud and when he invented "Green".

Clare Grogan in Red Dwarf. The character of Kochanski was originally intended to be important but she was gone when the show really started to take off in Series III.

The actor who played Mark in Reginald Perrin (although that was a success from the start).

Quote: Nick @ 1st March 2014, 7:27 PM GMT

Clare Grogan in Red Dwarf. The character of Kochanski was originally intended to be important but she was gone when the show really started to take off in Series III.

Clare did reprise the role briefly before Chloe took over, or rather some space creature took Kochanski's form and Grogan played it . . .

Megan Dodds (Kate) from Not Going Out for sure. Arguably got even more popular after Miranda Hart left too (though we could hardly call her a 'fifth Beatle' given her success!)

There was Peter Howitt in Bread who played Joey Boswell from 1986 to 1988 but was then replaced by Graham Bickley from 1989 to 1991.

Quote: Craig @ 2nd March 2014, 11:52 PM GMT

There was Peter Howitt in Bread who played Joey Bosmell from 1986 to 1988 but was then replaced by Graham Bickley from 1989 to 1991.

But I don't think that that applies as a "Fifth Beatle" as (if I recall corrctly) it became less popular after he left . . .

Quote: Tim Azure @ 3rd March 2014, 7:09 AM GMT

Are you showing your class here?

:D A mere typo now corrected.

I've got it! Stuart Sutcliffe in 'The Beatles'

No, your thinking of the Yorkshire Ripper

Well it is not a sitcom, and he was not in a single episode (so it fails on two counts) but Michael Palin was planned to be the original host of QI.

When first planned it was Michael Palin who was going to be the host and there were going to be two team captains.

Stephen Fry was going to be team captain of the "clever" team and he would have a "clever" guest partner.

Alan Davies was team captain of the "dim" team and he would have a "dim" guest partner.

But when Michael Palin was offered the role he turned it down, so when they came to shoot the pilot Stephen Fry stood in as the host and the rest as they say is history.

Now of course you can't imagine anyone but Stephen Fry as host, though I think having Alan Davies on every show is wearing a bit thin.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th February 2014, 10:45 PM GMT

I think most people preferred Grandad but it wasn't really possible for him to carry on.

There's a bit in the Monty Python Holy Grail soundtrack LP that has reference to the film starring Marilyn Monroe (in an ashtray or Hoover as she'd been cremated). It was part of what was essentially a new skit where there director was being interviewed (I think)...

Anyway, it shows grandad could've been bought back though it may have been a bit short on dialogue

EDIT: Found it! http://www.montypython.net/scripts/marilyn.php

I think that before it got to TV, Wilfrid Brambell was the original Rigsby on stage before Leonard Rossiter. How different would that show have been?