Dad's Army Page 2

Yes but superior, Last of the Summer Wine, isn't as good, not by a good length. Loved the episode where he played his brother, weren't a lot of the cast originally gang show performers.

Quote: sootyj @ February 21, 2008, 6:45 PM

I have Arthur Lowes mortal remains in a box under my bed, ha beat that!

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ February 21, 2008, 6:45 PM

I have Arthur Lowes mortal remains in a box under my bed, ha beat that!

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ February 21, 2008, 7:00 PM

Yes but superior, Last of the Summer Wine, isn't as good, not by a good length. Loved the episode where he played his brother, weren't a lot of the cast originally gang show performers.

Oh yes, without doubt Mainwaring is funnier than Foggy, but Foggy is also a great charactor. Last of the Summer Wine was good, but bad now. Foggy was the shows main strengh.

He was a nice character, as a younger fella I remember it being funny

I believe that Bill Pertwee (Hodges) was in Variety before he went into Dads Army which concerned Arthur Lowe who thought Bill Pertwee might be a bit common.

Quote: sootyj @ February 21, 2008, 7:00 PM

I believe that Bill Pertwee (Hodges) was in Variety before he went into Dads Army which concerned Arthur Lowe who thought Bill Pertwee might be a bit common.

Arthur Lowe's performance in My Brother and I is IMHO one of the most underrated British sitcom performances, playing the two lead roles. Even though both roles were obviously played by Lowe you never for once think that its the same actor.

Lowe also show superb range, one minute being the pompous oficer and the next the drunken entertainer and wisecracker- genius!

I loved just how underplayed it was. The episode where Mannering is being bribed with some nicely cooked sausages. Same with Porridge, subtle, clever, accurate, alas a style I find ah rd to match.

Yeah totally agree, thinks its down to the quality of the acting. Like Porridge, Dads Army relied on acting of great pedigree rather than people playing for laughs and trying to be funny.

Quote: sootyj @ February 24, 2008, 9:45 PM

The episode where Mannering

Mainwaring*

But it had a sublime, low key script, that picked up all the strengths and told the story. And created endless tension and interaction between the cast.

Final episode of series 8, 'The Face on the Poster'. Worst episode of the entire 9 series, surely. Leaves the entire platoon locked up in a PoW camp. No resolution, no comeuppance for the Nazi-like Polish idiots who put them there. Nothing! Was there any kind of resolution to their incarceration in the 1975 or 1976 Christmas specials?

Completely agree with you Aaron- I love Dad's Army but The Face on the Poster borders on the unwatchable- aside from the first couple of scenes. Its so irritating!

Interesting to see such an established star as Peter Butterworth playing a minor one-off role in the episode though.

Also - if anyone cares- as previously mentioned in the thread, the audio of the lost episodes of Dad's Army doesn't exist. They are radio adaptations which have been completely re-performed a few years after the original recording.

It was a good episode first time I saw it, but not one of the many I love to watch over and over again.

Quote: Greg @ July 11 2008, 1:28 PM BST

though.

Also - if anyone cares- as previously mentioned in the thread, the audio of the lost episodes of Dad's Army doesn't exist. They are radio adaptations which have been completely re-performed a few years after the original recording.

Yes James Beck died when the radio adapted of 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker' was adapted for radio and Walker played a big part in that episode so Graham Stark played him in the radio adaptation.