A Fine Romance

Anyone watched this sitcom? It was on in the 1980s and followed the budding romance between Judi Dench and Michael Williams - a real life husband and wife team.

I enjoyed Michael Williams in Conjugal Rites, so am thinking about checking some of his other work out.

Very, very gentle comedy. Bit twee even for my tastes. But perfectly okay for what it is.

I remember it and liked it. Just over thirty years on, it now looks of its time, a very dated feelgood comedy of relationship difficulties, misunderstandings, and mild faux-pas.

I remember the theme song, well. I remember finding the show rather dull - perhaps because I was unmarried and too young to pretend that I cared about this couple.

I remember watching this on a Sunday afternoon. I like warm sitcoms with gentle humour.

Me, too.

Especially those written by Bob Larbey -- Fine Romance, As Time Goes By, On the Up, Hope it Rains, The Good Life, Ever decreasing Circles, Mulberry. (Some of these were collaborations with John Esmonde, of course)

There are others I haven't seen because they're just not available.... dare I say "yet"?
My Good Friend, Down to Earth....

I used to watch this when it was on
Gentle pleasant stuff.

I wouldn't care to revisit any of it though

Call me crazy but, I liked the show a little more than ATGB. Thought Michael Williams was brilliant bringing his character to life! He's the reason I picked this user name. Could have watched many more seasons. Have the DVD set.

And yes must give credit to Bob Larbey. The genius behind it all. No coincidence that I'm a "Good Life" fan also. :)

Never had it on as more than background but then it was one of a fair few around in this light romcom vein you used to get, so it sort of wasn't missed that much. Now there are very few of them unless you count Him & Her. Used to like their awkward bumbling encounters. There's always a market for this type of sitcom, mainly a female one, so possibly once the commissioners have got over their long debilitating love in with the stand ups they might get round to doing this type of thing again. Along with some classically funny ones maybe. Who knows? Eh?

It's very warm, it's very nice, very gentle, very safe. Anything you'd expect from a RomCom really. Shame we didn't get to see a wedding, as the wedding should have been the final episode imo. Judi Dench played Laura really well, Laura was a bit child like when things didn't go her own way. Mike was a good character liked him and Helen and Phil was good too.

Judi Dench is much better in As Time Goes By and As Time Goes By is a much better show. You're not missing much if you don't watch this though. I thought it was good, but not great.

I'm finding this quite watchable, now. A lot of it's down to Mike Williams' character and the actor's bumbling style. Was great in Educating Rita.