As Time Goes By Page 5

Another sad milestone. The crowded, funny and charming ATGB site -- atgbCentral - has disappeared. Too bad. Lots of dedicated fans posted chat about the show but also news about what the cast is up to now. It was a gold mine of information. Sad to see it go. The chance to read about and talk about a favourite old show keeps it alive... but, if you're on this site, you knew that.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 31st January 2014, 4:02 AM GMT

Another sad milestone. The crowded, funny and charming ATGB site -- atgbCentral - has disappeared. Too bad. Lots of dedicated fans posted chat about the show but also news about what the cast is up to now. It was a gold mine of information. Sad to see it go. The chance to read about and talk about a favourite old show keeps it alive... but, if you're on this site, you knew that.

I would go to the site maybe once a month, and was taken by surprise yesterday when it seemed to just disappear. I was hoping it was just a temporary thing. But I guess not. Any details as to why?

The site was like a rock that you could always go to for positive comments from adoring fans. Bonnie kept a tight ship and allowed nothing but meaningful and respectable, on topic, comments. And there were pages, and pages, and pages of them, plus the trivia and photo pages.

The site gave the internet some class and will be dearly missed by many.

Nice to "run into" another ATGB Central fan.

I wrote to Bonnie when I couldn't find the site and she replied that traffic had dwindled to the point it seemed as though it were no longer worthwhile. It was probably a lot of work.

I loved the chaos of the way it was organized... a deep, wide maze of information and comments. You could start down one path and end up in all kinds of interesting places. I can't bear to think that all that content has just disappeared. I hope it's archived somewhere!

Maybe someone will start another ATGB site.

I wrote to her also before I saw your last post. I'm relieved she is fine health wise and this was purely a monetary thing. Agree that is would be a shame if all that data were not archived, and she did mention in her reply to me that it is all still on her hard drive.

Maybe she will find a way to get it back up and running, with some help.

Regards, and thanks for posting!

David

Quote: Rose2010 @ 31st January 2014, 9:09 PM GMT

I can't bear to think that all that content has just disappeared. I hope it's archived somewhere!

Maybe you can find it here:

http://archive.org/web/

Who knows.

Thanks, Gordon Bennett, for the pointer to the "way back" machine. What fun but, sadly, no ATGBCentral content.

Mike Selway, I hope Bonnie does find a way to put that content to good use ... and make it available. I was once involved with a periodical site (we owned the content) and once a year, we'd put all of the "editions" on a disk and make it available. The disk was pretty popular.... even these days, people like content in their hands, not just in the "cloud".

Maybe Bonnie will do the same. I wonder how much data there is?

Quote: Rose2010 @ 2nd February 2014, 9:21 PM GMT

I wonder how much data there is?

Tons!!! :)

Side Note: The show is still popular locally. The PBS affiliate has been running two episodes a week for a decade. I have been taking a break from it for awhile, but will probably go back to watching when they start with season one again.

Have the DVD set but a small group here like to watch on TV and email comments later. Interesting the little things you pick up as you watch shows repeatedly.

Best wishes Rose2010

ATGB airs pretty continuously on the "local" PBS -- the PBS station we get here in Canada. I purposely avoid watching. Then, every Christmas, I take out the DVDs and watch an episode a day. It gets me through most of the winter!

And, you're right, Mike Selway, you notice new and different things with every watching. And I have developed favourite episodes and a couple of favourite seasons.

It's great to have an email chat group -- which is how I tended to use ATGBCentral. As you know, when people noticed a discontinuity or wondered about some object or other, there were posts!

Best wishes.

I emailed Bonnie last week wondering why I couldn't get on ATGBCENTRAL.com and she was nice enough to reply with the following:

The site was not renewed and will expire as soon as the provider decides to delete it. I have removed all the files and they should be deleting it from their records shortly.
Bonnie

When I asked her if there was a chance she could renew the site;

I am keeping the emails I've been getting and will email if I reopen, but I'm pretty sure I won't do it.
Bonnie

So sadly for all of us that have come to rely on Bonnie for the latest info on our beloved cast of characters it looks like a vacuum has developed. I started following way back in 2004...

I keep hoping that either Bonnie will revive the site or someone will step in to fill the vacuum.

I liked the latest news about the actors but I also liked reading exchanges between fans about aspects of the show. I was thinking the other day -- after watching an episode in Season 5 -- that it was one of my favourite seasons. Then I was thinking it was too bad there's no one to chat with about what they think is the best season. Boring trivia for some, I suppose, but when you really like a show -- or a book or a movie or a piece of music -- it just makes it better to talk about it with fellow travellers.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 13th February 2014, 11:14 PM GMT

I keep hoping that either Bonnie will revive the site or someone will step in to fill the vacuum.

I liked the latest news about the actors but I also liked reading exchanges between fans about aspects of the show. I was thinking the other day -- after watching an episode in Season 5 -- that it was one of my favourite seasons. Then I was thinking it was too bad there's no one to chat with about what they think is the best season. Boring trivia for some, I suppose, but when you really like a show -- or a book or a movie or a piece of music -- it just makes it better to talk about it with fellow travellers.

I, too, seriously miss ATGB Central. I kept going back for a while hoping its being gone was a temporary glitch. I am the owner of a website and have thought of starting a section dedicated to my love for ATGB, but when I think of the sheer volume of wonderful material that was on Bonnie's site, starting brand new wouldn't even compare. There were so many wonderful personal accounts of trips to the set, discussions about set interiors, custard tarts, etc, etc. ::Sigh::

Quote: Keri Doolittle @ 19th March 2014, 12:14 AM GMT

I, too, seriously miss ATGB Central. I kept going back for a while hoping its being gone was a temporary glitch. I am the owner of a website and have thought of starting a section dedicated to my love for ATGB, but when I think of the sheer volume of wonderful material that was on Bonnie's site, starting brand new wouldn't even compare. There were so many wonderful personal accounts of trips to the set, discussions about set interiors, custard tarts, etc, etc. ::Sigh::

I wouldn't try to compare. But, others might enjoy it. Especially if it stays on topic and is done well. You might even give a tribute to Bonnie on the banner. Just my thoughts.

Well wishes.

Watched a bit of the first episode tonight.

This is more of a drama really. I remember years ago randomly analysing this for jokes/laughs and there really aren't enough to call it a comedy.

Agree. Dramady? But, not over dramatic. It's not the type of show that will keep you in laughs, for sure. More like a giggle here and there. But, I think most people just get comfortable with the characters. The supporting cast is, to me, what made this show.

In the States, it has run for decades on PBS. Locally, it still runs on Saturday nights. PBS runs Britcoms on Saturday night which I think is one reason why they are popular with the stay at home crowd. There just isn't anything else on. :)

But, not to take from this show. It has been enjoyed by millions and millions since its beginning, and will probably continue to do so.

Decided to watch my DVDs of the series, almost at the end. Always like a nice gentle comedy from time to time, especially one I can fall asleep to then watch when I get up. Going to watch the reunion specials on YouTube when I'm finished.

Was there ever an ATGB movie?