Greatest episode of Steptoe and Son Page 3

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 10th February 2013, 8:26 AM GMT

The one with the central heating was very funny. One of my faves so far...

I think the indoor heating is my favourite. Plumbing the bed and the way the whole system became a monster that needed to be killed is classic. The flight to france and the one where they're gonna move to suburbia are also high up there in my esteem.

The entire series is one of my favourite DVD sets.

I think OFAH was influenced by S&S in small parts....

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th January 2014, 9:40 PM GMT

I think OFAH was influenced by S&S in small parts....

It was. Sullivan even confirms it in an OFAH documentary.

Oh really?

Fair enough!

At least he was honest about it

Just been watching The Three Feathers

Very similar idea to OFAH ep Cash and Curry

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th January 2014, 11:39 AM GMT

Just been watching The Three Feathers

Very similar idea to OFAH ep Cash and Curry

Absolutely. But S&S was also a big influence on Bottom. Watch the first six or seven minutes of "Come Dancing"...this "I'm so lonely and bored"-monologue by Harold while Albert is kipping on the sofa is pure Richie and Eddie!

Oh I know!

Bottom borrows virtually all its ideas from Steptoe, Rising Damp and Hancock.

But I'm not getting into that debate again!

I really like The Desperate Hours. One of the very best, but there's so many good episodes. A magnificent sitcom, even the episodes from the 1960s, which is an era of comedy I'm not keen on.

I constantly put off buying the boxset - I have a best of DVD somewhere - but think it will be my next purchase.

I've got it

No extras at all

Although you do get the two Christmas shows

BBC are shit at extras!

Quote: Ben @ 26th January 2014, 1:43 PM GMT

I constantly put off buying the boxset - I have a best of DVD somewhere - but think it will be my next purchase.

For some reason most Best Of DVDs tend to favour the episodes I like the least. So I stick to the complete boxsets.

Quote: Ben @ 26th January 2014, 1:43 PM GMT

I really like The Desperate Hours. One of the very best, but there's so many good episodes. A magnificent sitcom, even the episodes from the 1960s, which is an era of comedy I'm not keen on.

Ben is that the one where they are two escaped prisoners from Wormwood Scrubs?

Yes Leonard Rossiter is on it

Thanks lofthouse I loved that episode too, it was brilliant and funny.

I'm not familiar enough with the episode titles....

I liked the central heating one too... also the one with the French woman who turns out to have a certain link to Albert's past.

Is it known why there was something like a 5 year gap after the first few series? I figured it was very popular - seems an enormous jump of time though.

My Favourite is Men Of Letters.

My Bum's is not dirty