Writing Partner

I have always wanted to write a comedy. I have just never had the motivation to sit down and take on the mammoth task of writing the script. Time was always the issue.

Now I feel ready to take the plunge and begin the process.

Among my favourite comedies are The Office, Peep Show, Inbetweeners.

I am looking for a writing partner who is committed to creating a script with me and to bounce ideas with.

If you think it's a mamoth issue you won't get it done

Look at it as an entertaining challenge and it'll get much easier.

I would also think about trying some stuff out yourself first. How do you know what kind of partner you want if you haven't had a go?

Go mad. Write a script.

Quote: Jennie @ 10th January 2014, 1:53 PM GMT

I would also think about trying some stuff out yourself first. How do you know what kind of partner you want if you haven't had a go?

Is that the opening chapter of Dating Tips for exNuns

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have tried in the past but lose interest when alone. I have tried with friends before but we seem to just not hit it off when writing.

You don't seem enthused about it and this post is sounding like one of those posts, written by suicidal people who want someone to die with them, so it won't be so lonely.

Except it's about comedy.

Quote: Sam Wiliams @ 10th January 2014, 2:04 PM GMT

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have tried in the past but lose interest when alone. I have tried with friends before but we seem to just not hit it off when writing.

To be honest, I don't think a writing partner will help. Writing is hard work, whatever anyone says. Maybe just start with some general brainstorming - come up with some characters etc? The Sitcom Mission Ebook has a really nice step by step process to get the creative juices flowing.

I think the dating websites are missing a trick here.
Comdeypartners.com

Feeling alone and uninspired? Sitting in front of a blank screen listening to the young people next door laughing? Why not try to find your perfect match on comedypartners.com?

Thank you for all the comments from the people who were sincere. I won't listen to any of the sarcastic ones and I won't be watching any sitcom of yours judging by the jokes.

Don't get upset at the responses not being what you want to hear -- people are just keen to point out that a writing partner may not solve all of your problems.

Personally, I've found that co-writing can help quite a lot. I've co-written with several different people, ranging from people I've known since I was at school to people I've never met. I prefer co-writing, on the whole. It's a trade-off. The downside is that sometimes you'll write something that you believe in but your co-writer just doesn't "get" and vice versa, which can be frustrating and can kind of compromise a script, I guess.

But on the plus side, it's an immediate sounding board/audience for a joke, and ideas lead to ideas. It's less lonely, and it helps motivate you when you have someone to bounce jokes/thoughts/drafts off.

Either way, with or without a co-writer, it's hard work. I'd recommend powering through to at least a first draft stage of something by yourself, if you haven't done this yet.

Good luck with it!

Dear Mr Sam Williams,
This is from a script you are about to never write. We appreciate that you are in the midst of thinking of creating us.

The fact that you have thought about the kinds of comedy you like and want to perhaps emulate in your own words brings tears to our eyes. We're deeply honoured that you think of us lowly paper-based products with such admiration.

We are also excited that you are thinking of bringing in a partner to add a new dimension to your story.

However, we are confused. We are sensing that while you are ready to get a co-writer to help you plough through the swampy experience of scritpwriting, we are feeling that your heart isn't really into it.

Hence we recommend a couple of things to get you started.

1. Sit down in a room for one hour and do nothing. Absolutely nothing. You must not move from your sitting place and if you can stare into outer space. Your mind will go so crazy at this point that it will be wanting to write a script so badly you'd kill yourself and NOT leave a suicide note if you didn't.

2. Treat yourself as a co-writer. After writing a scene, pretend you're the co-writer before you ask for one because co-writing is like marriage. Things can turn pretty sour if either party isn't being honest, communicating with each other, taking out the garbage or doing the dishes when they're supposed to.

3. Caffeine. It's your best friend. Energy drinks are great too but only sparingly as they've been known to kill people.

4. A journal. Write 24-7. Hey! Lena Dunham from 'Girls' does it. Mindy Kaling does it. They write everywhere. If you'd like bring a can of spray paint with you. Just write.

5. Doodle. It helps.

6. Exercise and do silly cartwheels. It helps.

So in essence, we're saying write a concept/treatment or a draft script first before you bring anyone else into the fold otherwise it's like looking for a genie but you didn't bring the bottle.

We hope you get to writing us soon. Our existence depends on you. Looking forward to appearing on your Word document soon.

Wishing you all the words in the world.

A Script