Tell us a joke Page 12

Quote: Mr Darkly @ 22nd January 2014, 11:56 PM GMT

I've had a penis extension. I Quite like it, but my wife thinks the conservatory looks a bit silly.

Good joke but unfortunately the brilliant Gary Delaney already does a very similar one.

Isn't that the curse of all good jokes someone's thought of it already

You end up writing bad jokes, because who'll copy a bad joke

Well Cheggers might

having just watched that girl confront her abuser on the phone on channel 4 news I got straight on the phone, to have a go at the abuser who ruined my life.
There was tears, there was swearing and in the end he agreed to give me free hot wings with my mighty meat pizza

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 23rd January 2014, 10:12 AM GMT

Good joke but unfortunately the brilliant Gary Delaney already does a very similar one.

I'll tell you what really grinds my gears. I know a lot of excellent joke writers who produce jokes on various web sites.

Main stream comedian "A" decides to use one of said jokes in a set. The original author of the joke then sees/hears this from a third party and informs them they actually wrote it, but of course the majority of people would side with the comedian, who could quite easily say "I've been using it for years" (despite it being a near word for word copy.)

I know it's the authors "fault" for posting the joke in the public domain, but I have seen cases where I have seen a comedian live use a joke I know for 100% fact that another person wrote.

I'm not suggesting Gary Delaney has done this, but I have seen it happen. Quips, wordplay and one liner jokes are understandable, great minds and what not, but for me when it's anything else it's a bit much.

Rant over.

As you say, for the short wordplay jokes it's going to happen often
Penis extension/ house extension it's an obvious link so it's going to be done a lot.

But if it's something more specific/unique or actually funny, then it's out of order

Hows your new company 3 up, 9 down going

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 23rd January 2014, 10:42 AM GMT

Penis extension/ house extension it's an obvious link so it's going to be done a lot.

And you didn't even have to go to Dragons Den

Nick, I agree to a certain extent although I think very few working comedians actually "steal" jokes, certainly not on, what used to known as, the "Alternative" circuit, because a reputation as a "joke thief" is not a good thing.

I put my jokes on twitter, which has lead to me getting quite a lot of writing work, but, on the downside, it means that my jokes turn up on Sickepedia and similar sites all the time, mostly unattributed but, unfortunately for me, that's a fact of life.

Outside of the comedy business no-one cares who wrote a certain joke, in fact most people don't even think jokes are written, they seem to think that they exist in some sort of ether, pre-written, just waiting for someone to tell them or post them on the internet.

However, if you want to work in the comedy business it's worth trying be at least a little bit aware of other, more famous comedian's material and avoiding replicating it if you are going to perform on stage or try to sell the jokes.

It probably happens all the time. On the other hand, good comedians probably wouldn't pinch others jokes not least because one of their best assets is their reputation.

I was watching the episode of Magnum the other day where he had to fight an evil anthropolgist under water. And in that episode there was the theory of simultaneous evoloution.

Whereby cultures simultaneously develop similar ideas at similar times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_discovery

Could a similar thing happen with jokes,

meantime is there any value in posting in sickipedia, I can see how Twitter can create work, even critique, but has anyone been discovered via sickipedia.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 23rd January 2014, 10:46 AM GMT

Nick, I agree to a certain extent although I think very few working comedians actually "steal" jokes, certainly not on, what used to known as, the "Alternative" circuit, because a reputation as a "joke thief" is not a good thing.

I put my jokes on twitter, which has lead to me getting quite a lot of writing work, but, on the downside, it means that my jokes turn up on Sickepedia and similar sites all the time, mostly unattributed but, unfortunately for me, that's a fact of life.

Outside of the comedy business no-one cares who wrote a certain joke, in fact most people don't even think jokes are written, they seem to think that they exist in some sort of ether, pre-written, just waiting for someone to tell them or post them on the internet.

However, if you want to work in the comedy business it's worth trying be at least a little bit aware of other, more famous comedian's material and avoiding replicating it if you are going to perform on stage or try to sell the jokes.

Excellent reply Tony, thank you. Sickipedia does indeed get a bad reputation for people visiting gigs then posting a joke on the site. However, an awful lot of jokes do get credited where applicable. It also works the other way. I know the majority of the main writers who frequent the hottest of the day jokes, and none of them would dream of posting others work.

I've been to gigs that have been littered with jokes from the site, many of them written by the reputable writers on the site, so blatantly ripped off. One comedian who makes a very lucrative stand up career based in Manchester basically copies and pastes EVERY joke from the site on his twitter feed. Low and behold, his "sets" are pretty much the same.

I know it's only a small minority that do this, and ultimately I'm sure quite a few people are aware they lift jokes from elsewhere, but it just makes me sad that a) the excellent writers who wrote jokes for fun get there work ripped off and b) that all Sickipedia users get tarred with the same brush.

Here's one I'm trying to write.

My high school used to have it's own daycare center. Then the nurse's office started handing out free condoms and eventually they lost revenue.

The Irish are going to be shipping their mentally ill out in paddy wagons.

My wife went mad at me the other day because I was wearing her clothes. Maybe her dad's funeral wasn't the best place to come out.

When I first got with my wife her dad said to me, "I'll do to you what you do to her" I thought that was a bit weird because I have never swallowed sperm before.

Having sex with a man on the tube was weird. Jools Holland enjoyed it though.

The people on Benefit Street are like dung beetles. They enjoy rolling around in shit.

My friends Nana said to me, "Having sex with old people is wrong" I ignored her and carried on.

My wife fell pregnant. My friends laughed, But I did the right thing and picked her up.

Chaos at the Parcelforce Christmas party, where an attempt at the Hokey Cokey failed due to everyone apparently being out even when they were in.

Apparently if you lie on your arm until it goes numb and then masturbate, you get thrown out of Bensons for Beds.

Poundland management admit to being threatened by the rise of the 99p store. Finally, the penny has dropped.

Met up with a woman from a dating website for "NSA fun". She spent all afternoon reading my emails and now I can't fly anywhere.

Using anti-ageing cream won't make you any younger, it'll just convince more people that you were actually born yesterday.

Alton Towers announces its summer theme for 2014 will be "Alliteration". All its rides will start with a massive Q.

What do you call a donkey with a machine gun? A bad ass.

Quote: NateSean @ 23rd January 2014, 11:54 AM GMT

Here's one I'm trying to write.

My high school used to have it's own daycare center. Then the nurse's office started handing out free condoms and eventually they lost revenue.

Reverse it ?

There's an international shortage of funds for free condoms and now my high school has it's own creche.