The mindless thoughts of a new female comedian.

www.itsadudesplanet.blogspot.com

I had my first gig last week and I'm going to document my comedy adventures with the world through the internet.
Could you guys have a good ol' read and tell me what you think? :)

Thanks.

Cool blog. Just thinking about it makes me nervous. I couldn't imagine how much I would be shitting myself if I had to do stand up. It'd be like a Senakot ad, but instead of a middle aged women playing tennis in tight white clothes, it would be an alcohol flushed whimpering shell of a man being carried out of the pub still trying to remember the punchline to 'my dogs got no nose'. Was it in livepool street? Didn't know they did comedy. Will have to check it out as it is right round the corner from me.
Pariticularly interesting because I have alwways wondered what the first stages of a standup career resemble. I couldn't do stand up myself as I have the memory of a goldfish, one that has just been in an unfortunate drag racing accident, filmed for a bbc teatime entertainment programme that revolves mostly around varying modes of personal transport for fish.

I enjoyed the blog. You successfully conveyed the feelings of fear, excitement and panic - it was very brave of you, and you must keep going. Can you post some of your material?

Nice blog you've got a good style.

What a great blog post. I've been practicng material for a while now, yet to have a gig because the thought alone makes me feel sick. This is very inspiring though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H7Aenh2BEA&hd=1

That was my first gig! :)

Thank you all! :) I have my second gig on Tuesday and will be writing up that one on Wednesday.

Quote: Millsy @ 17th January 2014, 11:59 AM GMT

What a great blog post. I've been practicng material for a while now, yet to have a gig because the thought alone makes me feel sick. This is very inspiring though!

You should do it, it's not actually as scary as it seems once you have done it the first time - everyone is friendly, really! :)

You are sooo brave! I'm Persis and I'm part of the Tomboy Tarts. A bunch of crazy assed ladies who do a lifestyle blog on celebrating the classic tomboy spirit and who also do comedy chat podcast on everything and anything and I have to say that I've yet to find my balls to get onstage. I would stutter, heave, puke and then faint on all my sick if I were you but I'm reading your blog missy and I'm loving it coz you're keeping it real. Bloody Congrats!!!

Quote: Millsy @ 17th January 2014, 11:59 AM GMT

Millsy - were we born on the same planet? Hi five on the getting sick bit! Gah! :D

Quote: Tomboy Tarts @ 22nd January 2014, 6:37 AM GMT

A bunch of crazy assed ladies who do a lifestyle blog on celebrating the classic tomboy spirit

You're aware that across the border in Indonesia, 'tomboi' is synonymous with 'lesbian'? There are a few lesbian hangouts in my neighborhood and the women all refer to themselves tombois, but I'm yet to encounter any exclusively tomboi tarts.

Stand-up is getting bigger in Southeast Asia. Only last weekend at a party, the entertainment was provided by a Papuan keyboardist/singer and his son (also singing), performing a bunch of Western and Asian hits. Toward the end of the party, the singer/keyboardist got up and performed a stand-up routine. Most of his jokes were race-based. Entertaining stuff.

I tried the take my wife gag with Mormons

Someone shouted, which one?

Quote: Roodyroo @ 14th January 2014, 11:36 AM GMT

Could you guys have a good ol' read and tell me what you think? :)

Yep, good stuff indeed, but you could consider toning down any self-deprecation (i.e. "mindless thoughts") in your essays. While not everyone has the self-confidence of James Cotter, it doesn't help to be heavy-handed when humourously putting yourself down. Confidence goes a long way, when founded on ability/talent.

This was your first gig, so well done for having the bottle to do stand up in the first place.

Now for the honesty. In a five minute set, you haven't time for rambling monologues, you need to keep the audiences attention with a few short jokes early on. For me, there really wasn't any jokes, more like you were reading passages from a diary, which is ok if they are humourous.

I don't want to dissuade you at all, but for me you need to work on telling some actual jokes.

All the best.

www.itsadudesplanet.blogspot.co.uk/

I've written a second post about writing - Give it a read :)

Wave

I agree the title of the blog is a little negative.

I read it, fun stuff but if that's how you're writing your gags you're giving yourself a very hard time. Just generating funny ideas is the first stage, you really need to be turning them into jokes then linking them into a routine.

Quote: sootyj @ 24th January 2014, 4:34 PM GMT

I agree the title of the blog is a little negative.

I read it, fun stuff but if that's how you're writing your gags you're giving yourself a very hard time. Just generating funny ideas is the first stage, you really need to be turning them into jokes then linking them into a routine.

Pretty much what I said, the routines need jokes.

www.itsadudesplanet.blogspot.com 3rd blog written! :)
Want a read? :)