Doc Martin - 'The GP Always Rings Twice' Page 2

OK, Doc Martin is not written to be a comedy. It's a comedy/drama.

This Yank, as you so off-handedly call us, thinks the success of this show is its ability to laugh at itself by creating characters that are unusually passionate and most often over-the-top unstable. The pharmacist (chemist) wears a neck brace with no explanation as to why. All the doorways in the town are too low so that Martin is often bumping his head. His brutal honesty is so off-the-wall as to force everyone he encounters to be put in their place. How sad it would be if we could not laugh at these ridiculous encounters. How cleaver of the writers to weave into each story something earthy and realistic to balance the foolery.

When will Doc Martin return to our air waves? I have turned a lot of people on to it and they, as well as I, are anticipating more.

I agree totally with Figgy. Not all of Doc Martin is meant to be funny. And, it's been awhile since I've seen the episode but I don't remember that scene as meant to be funny. Dogs do stray on to the road and get killed. It's just a fact. Why the writers put that scene in, I don't know. But, I do know that Martin Clunes is an avid dog lover and most likely would not make light of a dog's death.

Just my opinion as a fan.

The Doc is really nice for a G.P.. Where I live, G.P.s are so intimidating, you might lose your lunch or soil your undies at a routine visit. We love his parents...quite charming. If more people were like the Doc, the world would be a better place. Plus he really seems quite compassionate when it comes to dogs compared to people where I live. They tend to be horrifying to encounter at times--be it their treatment of animals or people.

Please remember that Martin Clunes is an animal nut - loves them all, crazy about them all. (Consider his specials on horses, manta rays, etc.) Everyone brings their dogs to the filming of "Doc Martin" because they know their best chance of getting a word with Martin Clunes is to bring a cute dog. (I've seen the articles online where the locals complain about the dog people for not curbing and/or cleaning up after their furries.)

Not to mention his creds with "A Man and His Dogs" both the book and the TV program. I think he's a little obsessed with purebred dogs (since there are so many lovely mixed breeds that could be adopted from shelters) but that's quibbling.

Since he is the focus of the show and his wife is the producer, I am sure they discussed whether or not it would be acceptable to feature such a plot device. I am not sure of his reasoning behind approving it, but they did. It is entirely in keeping with the character of Doc Martin to not be overly upset at the accident (it was an accident, remember, it was not intentional).

I'm an animal nut myself and cannot bear cruelty to animals at any point, so I had to remind myself of these things as well.

Doc Martin is an awesome classic t.v. drama, set in turn of the century England, but reminiscent of the late 1900s. There's a Doc in 1900's style suit and leather carrying case riding around in a rather old Lexus. Then there's Al a computer tech, who uses rather dated blue tooth devices. And at the beginning of the series, Elaine Denim had an ancient desktop PC on her desk. The village is quaint an set in the middle of a vast wilderness far away from civilization, almost like a frontier of England. It's set in quaint and remote Cornwall. The action is slow and the scenery is majestic. The villagers all live in huge castle like dwellings. There's something about the series that makes one yearn for a time long since lost to history--the 1900s or late 20th century. I'm kind of fond of the late 1990s myself. But now decades later we are on the verge of an era of rapid change and truly radical transformation of the human species. Only time will tell if series like Doc Martin can stand the test of time.

I like that dog Buddy......maybe they could make a spinoff centered around the dog....kinda like Wishbone.....Doc Martin According to Buddy....

PBS starts a re-run of SE5 this weekend. Hopefully they follow up with SE6. It's been a long time! I've read that per episode, its the most watched British show of all time (world wide), including Downton Abbey. Could be due to their practice of filming only every other year. Gives the actors time to work other projects, and gives the town's people a break, but also, it keeps the audience craving.

I know I'm looking forward to it!

we love everything about the show.....it's more awesome than anything I could imagine.....I especially want to see a return of the doc's parents and his aunt Joan.....maybe even see doc Sims.....they always seem to refer to him......also, it would be nice to see my favourite character Elaine Dennim.....

An idea for a series seven episode might be to have the Doc suffer some sort of trauma that causes him to act way out of character and speak with an American accent...like as if he's temporarily assumed the identity of a popular American TV icon -- Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dick Van Dyke...etc...

Also, maybe Judy Bloom had an epiphany moment at the airport when Louisa placed a real mirror up to her face...a very candid look at who she really is and she has decided she wants to change for real this time. She could start by apologising to Martin and returning the clock.

Oh and could we have Roger Fenn back...if the Doc is really going to make any progress, he needs a buddy to hang out with.

Series seven could be a renaissance of sorts for the Doc and the cast....the Doc could go to London on monthly visits to see his counsellor--the sharp witted guy who plays Sherlock Holmes on Sherlock and he could relay how things went to his good pal Roger Fenn... and there could be such a change in the Doc's character that the villagers don't know how to manage it and some even pass out....he could start wearing shorts and vibrant colours and inspiring people of the village to better themselves...and each episode could keep the viewers on the edge of their seats with the surprise guest stars and the revelations....the Doc's mother could even be inspired to transform into a kind and caring mother...

There could be an episode where the Doc goes on a cruise with Louisa....there could also be intriguing new characters, like an inventor of environmental gadgets and flying devices, a school teacher from South Africa, an animal expert from Australia, and characters could really come into their own....Like Bert could start painting works of art and become an antique dealer...and in addition to fishing...Al could have an adventure resort complete with horses and a zipline.

Hey and PC Penhale could enroll in a martial arts class and encounter a woman Interpole Agent who inspite of Penhale's bungling, finds him mysteriously attractive.
Also, all the main cast could run into some high adventure at the grand opening of Ruth and Al's adventure farm- Mrs Tishell could be caught up on the zip line and Penhale could attempt to rescue her, a money launderer could have caused alot of chaos by sabotoging the grand opening of the adventure farm....the Interpole Agent could suddenly figure this out and go in to capture the money launderer....but the launderer proves to be too much for everyone to handle....and somehow Penhale manages to use his newly aqcuired self defence skills and subdues the criminal---like maybe he's showing off for the agent a self defence technique but does not realize he's demonstrating it on an actual dangerous criminal.....
and Sally Tishell could go on a real health kick....running, jogging, biking,...etc....to impress the Doc
those could be running gaffs for Penhale and Sally Tishell....he could be constantly bungling self defence techniques to impress an Interpole agent....while Sally is constantly trying to become some sort of diva/fitness guru to impress the Doc....AL and Ruth could be struggling to make an Adventure Farm safe and viable......the Doc and his mother could be struggling to become human....Bert could be aqcuiring interesting new hobbies along side his restaurant....like painting, and antiques...inspired by his new wife who happens to be very talented. The money launderer could stuff print plates in one of Bert's paintings....and in another episode Bert could somehow manage to accidently acquire a real valuable antique instead of the intended copy...like a piece meant for display only in order for purchasers to appreciate the yet valuable copies....

And how about this one....the Doc's mother and Aunt Ruth could be caring for James and Ruth could be helping the Doc's mother to redirect or author her own life whilst the Doc and Louisa go on a Cruise....and Penhale is on the same ship because it offers a self improvement-self denfence-get away type course run by the money launderer as a false front to his actual ooperation....and the Interpole Agent is trailing him on the cruise....the money launderer finds out about sleepy little Portwenn and decides to carry on his sharrade of a course and set's up shop there at Ruth and Al's adventure farm....

This is how Steven Moffat started...

My idea of it is to create a season seven so spectacular and fresh that they could step it down for a further season or two if they liked, but to have the awe inspiring and wonderous effect of some sort of renaissance...

Oh and former PC Mark Mylow could briefly return to Portwenn as a meteoric rising solo music artist. Maybe he is considering having a holiday home there and Mrs. Tishell develops a crush on him....

Here's another idea for a future episode---the Doc could be in a therapy session in London...and the therapist could have the Doc in a hypnotic trance where he suggests to him to see a new and positive life in Portwenn....not a perfect life....but a plausible life in which he and those around him could truly be happy.....in the Doc's trance he could see himself as being charming and even slightly gallant....his mother could also be charming and compassionate and encouraging.....Penhale could be very competent and confident at his job and Al Large could be a convincing and inspiring paramedic....and at the end of the episode the therapist could tell the Doc that what he imagined could become reality...it's a matter of one person making a positive change in their lives inspiring others to do the same...but encourage them....and leave them to make their own decisions.....and the episode could end with the Doc having a pleasant smile on his face...

My choice for the therapist----Benedict Cumberpatch