The sci-fi thread Page 4

There was one called the Tripods too

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 10:16 PM GMT

The Tripods was good fun.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 10:16 PM GMT

Somewhere RCP a tramp is taking a shit in a telephone booth you should be starting an argument in.

You have reminded me I have the Tripods on DVD!
That is so getting watched tonight.

I love The Tripods. Completely overlong, terrible acting and the masters are laughable monstrosities, but I can't stop watching it.

Oooh

I love it when I type something onto my screen and as a direct result a complete stranger in another part of the country does something as a result of what I've typed

That's so cool

God I'm a sad bastard

It has that 80s vibe that the best scifi had, like in the City of Gold and Lead there's a really shit disco night club called the Purple Parrot or something.
So it' like, mu ha ha we are evil alien, overlord bastards, give our slaves a shit night club. Play Kajagoogoo and serve them Nu coke and Quatro.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 10:29 PM GMT

Oooh

I love it when I type something onto my screen and as a direct result a complete stranger in another part of the country does something as a result of what I've typed

That's so cool

God I'm a sad bastard

Just so long as you're not in command of nuclear missiles or William Hague or something.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 10:29 PM GMT

Oooh

That's so cool

God I'm a sad bastard

Laughing out loud

Zooo, empty your bank account and FedEx all your cash to me

Thanks

Worth a try....

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 10:35 PM GMT

Zooo, empty your bowles and FedEx all your cats to me

Thanks

Worth a try....

F**k that message wasn't meant for me, I don't even own a cat.

So I think I just sent you next door neighbours Alsation.

Ha ha!

Don't forget original "Survivors" - unless someone has already mentioned it.

I started watching Survivors a couple of years ago and was rather captivated. First series was the best, second started going off the boil a bit and I never got round to watching the third. Still very good though with some nice, bleak moments.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2014, 9:29 PM GMT

I recently bought the old BBC series The Day Of The Triffids

God knows when I'll watch It though

It's got Emily Dean from The Frank Skinner Show* in it playing the young girl. Her parents were thesps, natch.

*I am officially a sadcase.

Quote: sootyj @ 13th January 2014, 10:32 PM GMT

It has that 80s vibe that the best scifi had, like in the City of Gold and Lead there's a really shit disco night club called the Purple Parrot or something.
So it' like, mu ha ha we are evil alien, overlord bastards, give our slaves a shit night club. Play Kajagoogoo and serve them Nu coke and Quatro.

Just so long as you're not in command of nuclear missiles or William Hague or something.

I loved that too. There was a really camp vibe in 'The City of Gold and Lead', which was probably run by Paul Rutherford and Holly Johnson. What about the term 'a happy release'? Now that's just plain filth and to think that I watched this show as a ten-year-old - small wonder I'm a shadow of the person I once was.

I'd have been intrigued to see how the BBC handled dramatising the third Tripod's novel. Would have required a lot of special effects.

Even more so than were in the second series which was fairly impressive given the time and accompanying BBC budgets.

Quote: Ben @ 1st March 2015, 9:09 PM GMT

I'd have been intrigued to see how the BBC handled dramatising the third Tripod's novel. Would have required a lot of special effects.

Even more so than were in the second series which was fairly impressive given the time and accompanying BBC budgets.

I agree - according to a nerdy friend of mine, the BBC had made most of the models and had written all of the scripts for S3, so it's a real shame that the new DG binned the project due to the combination of escalating costs and poor viewing figures.

I shall be reading the third book to determine how it all ended. I'd love to go to the Planet Tryon at some point though - maybe Sir Richard Branson's planning to charter his Virgin Galactic spacecraft there at some point? Three suns! Now I'd need loads of Ambre Solaire to deal with that amount of heat - I bet those tripods are slathering the stuff on.