Sherlock Page 97

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 14th January 2014, 12:42 PM GMT

This whole series has felt like trying to really build on the relationship between Watson and Holmes, even at the detriment of the mystery elements. What this man clearly posed a threat to was Watson, and to Watson's wife, which we had plenty of screen time given over to; that was basically the threat he was taking out. So it was more a personal reason than saving the country or people in power. That's why Holmes would step over the line.

That's such a huge misstep in terms of character.

Not just because he is supposedly the archetypal hero, but also because Sherlock doesn't care for anyone except the intellectual thrill.

So neither one of those characters would have shot an unarmed man.

Reminds me of the famous Magnum PI episode, Have you ever seen the sun rise.

Now in that one Magnum kills a guy in cold blood. After 2 episode, of increasing threat, where his friends are hurt etc. So when he guns down the KGB officer it's a completely understandable action. Where as here it's 5 minutes of squabbling at the end of an episode mostly about Watson shtupping Nikita.

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 12:50 PM GMT

That's such a huge misstep in terms of character.

Not just because he is supposedly the archetypal hero, but also because Sherlock doesn't care for anyone except the intellectual thrill.

But not this Holmes on this show. This is a diffeerent take; this one is actually developing and being changed by his friendship.

Then that's not really Sherlock, it's something else.
Good maybe, but it's not Sherlock.
It's like Columbo having a bath and getting his coat drycleaned.

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 1:05 PM GMT

It's like Columbo... getting his coat drycleaned.

Mrs Columbo bought him a new one once, but he managed to lose it in the end.

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 1:05 PM GMT

Then that's not really Sherlock, it's something else.
Good maybe, but it's not Sherlock.
It's like Columbo having a bath and getting his coat drycleaned.

Meh, it's just a different take, there's plenty of traditional Holmes to go around, why not see what a tweaked version could look like for a while?

I also missed my 'Sherlock saves the day by being cleverer than the baddie' fix.

They could have called this episode 'Sherlock's missing brain' -

The only thing in this episode I can see he figured out was that Mary wasn't who she said she was...after she broke into a high security building and shot him dressed like as SAS operative. Helen Keller might have spotted that one.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 14th January 2014, 1:08 PM GMT

Meh, it's just a different take, there's plenty of traditional Holmes to go around, why not see what a tweaked version could look like for a while?

Tweaked more like Twerked

I'm all for having fun and trying out new stuff.

But this is huge, even if it was the right thing to do, it was flip and throw away.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 14th January 2014, 1:07 PM GMT

Mrs Columbo bought him a new one once, but he managed to lose it in the end.

Is that why she left him for the Delta Quadrant.

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 12:50 PM GMT

So neither one of those characters would have shot an unarmed man.

I agree with this. What would have been more satisfying is a battle of the 'Mind Palaces' - with both men using their intellect to out do each other.

CAM kept saying he was a businessman and that is how Sherlock should have taken him down. No need to kill him or wipe his brain or whatever. Just a single 'pressure point' that would have led CAM to his own demise.

That would have worked, would have worked well.

Certainly my absolute favourite moment in season 2s conclusion was when Moriarty and Sherlock had a cup of tea

Quote: sootyj @ 14th January 2014, 2:36 PM GMT

That would have worked, would have worked well.

Certainly my absolute favourite moment in season 2s conclusion was when Moriarty and Sherlock had a cup of tea

Agreed & agreed. That scene ticked all the boxes.

Caught up with the final ep today after days of trying to avoid spoilers about the 'perfect' finale. What a load of rubbish. It seemed so promising at the start, and like it was going to have an actual plot, and then devolved into lots of people talking about their feelings and Sherlock being the most stupid person in the room who is apparently a (not so)secret agent these days instead of a consulting detective. Everyone in the audience was about 88 minutes ahead of Sherlock in this episode because the bad guy said at the very beginning that he never forgets anything! Sherlock failed to work out anything, and when the bad guy had utterly outsmarted him he shot him in the face?! What the hell kind of resolution is that?

But I am pleased that I now know how to survive a bullet to the chest by willing my body not to go into shock and then willing my heart to beat after my brain has been deprived of oxygen so long that the doctors have decided further chest compressions are pointless. Quite an oversight on Magnussen's part to not make himself immortal with his mind-palace - why didn't he just will himself not to experience brain-death like any other intelligent person?

Quote: Tim Azure @ 16th January 2014, 8:07 AM GMT

Now one who can't even be bothered to watch the show when it came out...

You thought it was and it was. No revelation here, surely Harridan?

Why do people equate complexity with lack of plot? Do you just want a soap style story? I think Corrie's got a lot to answer for...

I'm sorry, is my opinion invalid because I was busy this week?

It wasn't complex it was dull, sloppy and unintelligent. I don't want soap stories, I want the absence of soapy elements. In the first two series they managed perfectly well to create a realistic, complex relationship between Holmes and Watson without having to spend half of each episode talking about their friendship.

Hmm random pointless arguments, defensiveness, snide digs

dejavu is it you.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 16th January 2014, 10:41 AM GMT

Depends if this is a fan thread of Sherlock or not...

We can but dream...

A 'fan thread'? What are we, 14-year-old Beliebers?

Why have a forum at all? We're in danger of becoming philosophical...