The sci-fi thread Page 2

Dodgy effects have never bothered me on old British stuff. Of course they're going to be a bit shit to our eyes. As long as the scripts and ideas are good.

Lock it now! Please!

Quote: Ben @ 11th January 2014, 8:40 PM GMT

I'd advise you not to watch it.

I do like a challenge...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 11th January 2014, 8:37 PM GMT

Quantum Leap. That was good. I imagine they'll reboot that thing soon.

There's frequently talk about a movie. I wouldn't like to see a reboot. It wouldn't be as 'feel good' as the original. Al would, no doubt, be some hip gunslinger and Sam would be played by an 18 year old.

Quote: Ben @ 11th January 2014, 8:42 PM GMT

There's frequently talk about a movie. I wouldn't like to see a reboot. It wouldn't be as 'feel good' as the original. Al would, no doubt, be some hip gunslinger and Sam would be played by an 18 year old.

Yeah, and they'd insist on giving it a 'proper' ending!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 11th January 2014, 8:41 PM GMT

Dodgy effects have never bothered me on old British stuff. Of course they're going to be a bit shit to our eyes. As long as the scripts and ideas are good.

oh I quite like dodgy effects, but the problem is when they distract.

I mean extended space battles with airfix models on string is just dull, just focus on the crew running around the set and falling over whilst the camera man jumps up and down.

Ten words: FIREFLY

Quote: Ben @ 11th January 2014, 8:42 PM GMT

It had a lot of warmth to it. I can't imagine a reboot being anything but an empty E4 drama that gets cancelled after a few seasons.

Thee are vast reams of excellent Science-Fiction books that have not yet been made into films or TV series; possibly because the aouthers have not been prepared to hand over film rights to any producers that might corrupt their dream.
e.g.

All the Dragons of PERN series by Anne & Todd McCaffrey

Umpteen tales of known space by Larry Niven & colleagues including the 3 Ringworld novels.

The Uplift novels by, I think, Greg Bear.

etc etc.

But I expect that no author would want his whole theme turned inside out like the film producers did to "I am Legend" and to a great extent "I, Robot".

I would not have thought of "The Prisoner" as Sci-Fi, with the bouncing guard the only inexplicable to science object, as far as I recall. The rest was current technology, so it was akin to a James Bond film in that respect, not Sci-Fi.

{And for Sootyj, the same is true of Sherlock! Not really Sci-Fi just current technology at its bleeding edge.}

T.V. at the moment is woefully lacking in realy good sci-fi, The only contender so far although I've only seen episode one is Falling Skies and I may well give it another watch, The Battlestar Galactica reboot is frankly terrible I was'nt a fan of the original anyway, The Tommorow People is dross it is so like Alphas or Heroes as a reboot it should have been left alone, Blakes 7 was good in it's concept though a bit creaky in it's special effects but at least you cared about the characters, I hope there is some great sci-fi on the horizon soon but I don't see much will to make it as programme makers are obsessed with reality shows still which are cheaper to make, For good sci-fi anyone remember the Martian Chronicles?.

Quote: Father Jack @ 13th January 2014, 7:09 PM GMT

T.V. at the moment is woefully lacking in realy good sci-fi

I think part of the problem is that our own science is advancing so rapidly that outrageous technological concepts soon become dated and anachronistic.

Most writers are so stuck in the past, they can't even adapt their work to fit around the notion of mobile phones - hence why every film / TV show has to have the obligatory and predictable 'No Signal' shot. Oh and people still hack websites by typing really, really quickly on a keyboard.

And as I mentioned on a previous thread, British broadcasters think sci-fi is for kids, so getting something made is extremely difficult.

Quote: Father Jack @ 13th January 2014, 7:09 PM GMT

The Battlestar Galactica reboot is frankly terrible

You are a bonkers person. One of the very best Sci-fi shows, that.

Black Mirror, several of those are Sci-fi.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 13th January 2014, 7:24 PM GMT

Black Mirror, several of those are Sci-fi.

How did you know my middle name is "Bonkers", Just speaking as I find realy it just didn't grab me, The amount of reboots about shows a total lack of imagination imo.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 11th January 2014, 8:30 PM GMT

Shows like Stargate always seem a bit ho-hum to me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 13th January 2014, 7:24 PM GMT

Isn't it amazing when someone slags off a show they never watched and then gets angry when it happens to them?

Ah humanity, you suck balls.