Status report Page 5,497

I really didn't think much of this second (Hobbit) outing. It left me a bit cold, as did Freeman.

I like to imagine that he did his Office exasperated looks to camera every time they had to fight a dragon.

It did feel that way.

(I assume there are dragons. I don't know Hobbits.)

One, yes. And as much as I like a good, fire breathing, dragon it all just felt a bit meh. I think they should have just made two films at the most.

Look out for Jackson doing a Hitchcock right at the beginning too.

What other books will he squeeze the life out of next?

Janet & John go to the beach?

The first one started so strong with the songs, and the Hobbit Hole and the feast. I even liked the discussion of the Dwarves as middle class refugees.

And then boom, gone, yet another dreary CGI mess of scraps. The Lord of the Rings maybe it was less noticable because the books are kinda dull and pompous. But the Hobbit is a charming, marvel and so the less of character and humour really stood out.

Janet & John & Gandalf Go To The Beach.

Quote: Lee @ 10th January 2014, 12:58 PM GMT

Janet & John & Gandalf Go To The Beach.

Over three, four hour, films.

Quote: sootyj @ 10th January 2014, 12:58 PM GMT

The first one started so strong with the songs, and the Hobbit Hole and the feast. I even liked the discussion of the Dwarves as middle class refugees.

And then boom, gone, yet another dreary CGI mess of scraps. The Lord of the Rings maybe it was less noticable because the books are kinda dull and pompous. But the Hobbit is a charming, marvel and so the less of character and humour really stood out.

To me, the latest one just felt like the setup for a video game.

I think the best version was the Jackanory version with a bunch of bluff old actors reading it.

I do look forward to the end of this era of big CGI, it's just kinda deadening.

I loved Ironman3, because they took Tony out of the armour for most of the film. And actually told a story that was really fun and engaging.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 10th January 2014, 1:00 PM GMT

Over three, four hour, films.

To me, the latest one just felt like the setup for a video game.

I've no interest in seeing it, the Hobbit was one of the books I first really liked as a kid.

I remember reading the first page of The Hobbit as a kid but I never went much further. Still, great opening to an adventure (that I never experienced).

I never read any Tolkien as a kid. But I always found his name fascinating, for some reason.
Difficult to say, too many Rs. Mental.

Quote: zooo @ 10th January 2014, 12:39 PM GMT

(I assume there are dragons. I don't know Hobbits.)

Do you not know by whom the dragon is played?

(See. Really good use of taxpayers' money)

I have remembered now, yes!