Dad's Army

So I have been hearing Dad's Army from you guys. I had never heard of the show until I started visiting these forums.
The show is great! I look forward to ....wait let me check what Aaron wrote on the BSG website....9 series?! Wow looks like I'll have a lot to watch!
So anyways thanks guys! Great find!

Series'* >_<

Anyway. Wow. I'm surprised! I think that you're the first non-Brit I've spoken to who "gets" it. Absolutely brilliant show though, you'll enjoy! :)

Technically only 8 series in full exists

Woops! Correction made. Does the series ever go colour? And if they do what series does it happen?

series 2

or series 3

Series three was the first in colour. :)

Also, as Kes hinted, unfortunately only half of series 2 still exists, with episodes 3, 5 and 6 missing. Further, it appears that episode 6 of series 3 now only exists in black and white.

(Oh, I should mention, it's only the video that doesn't exist for those three. The audio exists, and are included as extras on the S1 & 2 DVD release (and I assume the complete box set too). :))

Good to know, thanks for the information!

And there was a film of it too which was a bit hit and miss.

But probably the (certainly one of the) best of that era of sitcom->film adaptations.

Quote: Aaron @ February 20, 2008, 11:06 PM

But probably the (certainly one of the) best of that era of sitcom->film adaptations.

Yes - I agree but being a BBC one it was already superior to things like On the Busses.

As most of you all know, it is without doubt the greatest sitcom in the world. Absolutely superb. Arthur Lowe was just magic as Captain Mainwaring, the greatest ever comic performance. Mainwaring is the greatest ever sitcom charactor. And will always be. Great scripts from Perry and Croft and brilliant acting. A timeless classic. I have all the surviving episodes on DVD- all the Radio Episodes and all the Scripts. Is their a bigger more devout fan out there?

I have Arthur Lowes mortal remains in a box under my bed, ha beat that!

Guess what- I don't believe you

Curses uncovered, it is of course one of the finest sitcoms of all times.

Quite right. Legendery. Is it just me, or do you think Mainwaring is very much like Foggy Dewhurst, played by Brian Wilde, on Last of the Summer Wine?