Only Fools and Horses - Sport Relief Special

I think this sounds promising. I remember Vicar of Dibley would only make charity sketches when they were together for a new full-length episode.

I'm not sure what to say based on the terrible return of Open All Hours. Hopefully it will work and will be funny but I'm fearing the worst.

Quote: G180e @ 4th January 2014, 2:44 PM GMT

I'm not sure what to say based on the terrible return of Open All Hours.

That may be a little disingenuous. 'Still Open All Hours' was written by Roy Clarke, whose output is always on the 'gentle' side and a far weaker writer than John Sullivan. With that show, I think people expect it to be better than it is/was because of the presence of Barker and Jason, and therefore its connection to two of the most popular sitcoms of all time, Porridge and Only Fools.

Considering news of a new episode(s) of Fools only surfaced last week, this news of a charity sketch is remarkably fast. Jason's comments received incredibly wide coverage so it's likely the BBC may be testing the waters even more with this sketch before announcing a full episode or - even better - a new series.

True, yes. I was just trying to say that everything lately David Jason has been in lately has been awful i.e. The Royal Bodyguard, Still Open All Hours.

I'm sitting firmly on the fence with this one, I would love to see a good special that leads to a new series for Only Fools and Horses but as is often the case with these things it is usualy disappointing to say the least. So I will reserve judgement untill I see it.

I thought it was going to be a new feature length episode, I would hardly say a short sketch is exciting, just make a new episode BBC. I would love a new episode, in my eyes a short or a sketch is not a return.

I don't think it's going to be a standard 3 minute sketch. I'm sure I saw 10 - 15 minutes being bandied about this morning. I'll judge it when it lands.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 4th January 2014, 7:19 PM GMT

I thought it was going to be a new feature length episode, I would hardly say a short sketch is exciting, just make a new episode BBC. I would love a new episode, in my eyes a short or a sketch is not a return.

There will be a new full episode, it just isn't official yet. David Jason said there was a treatment. Nobody would write a treatment for a sketch as the sketch itself is short enough. There is definitely an episode on the way, mark my word.

LONG LIVE HOOKY STREET!

(A few minutes later...)

It seems a new full episode is NOT in the offing.

Sadly, I've just read this statement from Jim Sullivan:

http://shazamtv.com/blog/del-boy-and-rodney-to-return-for-a-one-off-only-fools-and-horses-sketch-for-sport-relief/

I'm surprised this statement hasn't gained more notice. Even this very site don't seem to know about it. DJ's comments got a lot of people very excited, me included and it seems the media ran away with themselves. I doubt DJ was misquoted, as it The Times who quoted him. I still wonder why a treatment was needed for such a short piece.

Unless this is just wool being pulled over our eyes...

Damn! I was really excited for a full episode. Oh well, still looking forward to the sketch. :(

It's very disappointing. I think Jim Sullivan should have made it clearer sooner - like the day the media went crazy for DJ's comments. We've all been thinking a new episode or even a new series will happen. Not everyone has read Jim Sullivan's add-on comment, buried as it is on their production company's website. No newspaper has picked it up. The only reason BCG has it is because I pointed it out. Many, many people out there are still expecting a proper return this year. All told, it's been a 'failure to communicate' and a bit of a balls-up.

I would much sooner they leave it be. Them becoming rich was the perfect ending and they had to spoil that with a terrible rehash trilogy which seemed to set out to rock the boat rather than be funny.

I love Only Fools and Horses but its time has been and the older the characters/actors get, the thinner the comedy premise gets.

I think it should be left in the past.

Just thinking back to some of the last few shows, they did not make me laugh like many of the other episodes did. Times change and people change, as do their tastes, so for me I vote leave it where it is in the past.

Bring something new to comedy and get rid of a few more other crap shows that the BBC seem to have at the moment. Whistling nnocently

Open All Hours was brilliant!

And I'm definitely looking forward to OFAH special! I don't think it should come back for a series, just a special is all it should be.

Quote: EmmaOohLaLa @ 5th January 2014, 8:03 PM GMT

Open All Hours was brilliant!

And I'm definitely looking forward to OFAH special! I don't think it should come back for a series, just a special is all it should be.

Newsflash, Emma: it's just a sketch.

Quote: Dave @ 5th January 2014, 8:08 PM GMT

Newsflash, Emma: it's just a sketch.

YES, I know, thanks for informing me when I already knew.