Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 11

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th December 2013, 9:05 PM GMT

Granville (Not David Jason) was in his mid twenties.

He became a father between the last series and the one-off just shown. Presumably that impelled him to belatedly mature.

Aaaaaah, yessssss!
Plot holes arise.
:)

Recycling or resurrecting old shows with a new twist in the title tends to ring alarm bells. Like comic books that went for a new angle by transforming the characters into infants. See The Flintstone Kids or Little Archie.

Looking at a few suggested ideas and real world trends- what if they threw in a series/season plot arc of a big name supermarket wanting to buy up the store and turn it into a local branch? Granville would be conflicted due to owning the store being his only bit of success and want to continue with his own practices influenced by his years as an assistant. But the need to stay ahead sees him have to keep dipping into his uncle's playbook.

I really enjoyed Still Open All Hours. Obviously it's not the same without Ronnie Barker, but me and my family enjoyed watching it.
And it did really well to top the Christmas viewing figures!

I think the revival was very much in the spirit of the original which was always understated and sedate. Roy Clarke seems to have carried on almost precisely where he left off all those years ago with ease. Times and tastes have changed a lot in the mean time and Still Open All Hours does seem a bit like a relic of another era. A funny relic mind.

Don't mean to be a geek and bring up old threads, but after I watched the Christmas special I started watching the Original series and am enjoying it immensely! Starting series 3 tonight! Great show!

Glad to hear "Still Open All Hours" will not be returning. You just can't make a new full series out of it, The special was awful. Haven't a clue how the hell it got past the commission stage!

Greg how do you know it is not coming back?

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 28th January 2014, 5:46 PM GMT

Greg how do you know it is not coming back?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/open-hours-series-sitcom-closed-3048174

But they haven't made a decision yet. The papers are liarss

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 28th January 2014, 5:51 PM GMT

But they haven't made a decision yet. The papers are liarss

Judging from the dismal display of the special, I think it's safe to say it won't be returning.

Quote: G180e @ 28th January 2014, 6:02 PM GMT

Judging from the dismal display of the special, I think it's safe to say it won't be returning.

9.4 million is an awful display? Wave

Quote: Dice @ 28th January 2014, 6:28 AM GMT

Don't mean to be a geek and bring up old threads, but after I watched the Christmas special I started watching the Original series and am enjoying it immensely! Starting series 3 tonight! Great show!

I haven't seen the special but, I also am watching the originals now, because of this thread. I find them very well written. Reeks of nostalgia and enjoying it very much. :) You have to listen to Arkwright's rants closely, but that's where I find the best humour.

Quote: Nick @ 28th January 2014, 6:34 PM GMT

9.4 million is an awful display? Wave

Yes