That Mitchell and Webb rip off Page 2

Strangely enough books can be written some time before they are published.

Quote: Marc P @ 28th November 2013, 10:51 AM GMT

Strangely enough books can be written some time before they are published.

David Mitchell somehow, for some reason, got hold of Rankin's first draft and THE REST IS HISTORY.

Have no idea what the sketch is or the passage from the book. Just saying books can take a long time from completion to publication.

I'm sure two people can have the same idea. There's no reason to think one saw the other, or purposefully ripped the other off if they had seen it.

According to Amazon review it's just a one liner. Maybe subconsciously used. Who knows? Shouldn't think Mitchell & Webb are too bothered if that was the case or otherwise. Hard to tell without reading the passage.

David Mitchell and Robert Rankin are never seen in the same room together...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 28th November 2013, 3:12 PM GMT

I'm sure two people can have the same idea. There's no reason to think one saw the other, or purposefully ripped the other off if they had seen it.

I have no trouble believing they could have both came up with the same basic concept, so really we need to see the passage and the exact wording to make a judgment on whether it was plagiarised.

From what I remember it was a really basic concept and I was surprised no one had used it before when I saw the sketch. So I would assume Rankin came up with it independently.

Was the line "are we the baddies?" used?

Pretty sure Himmler did it first.

That's racist!

Call me crazy but did anyone else notice that the sketch in Series 5 episode 3 at roughly 16 and a half minutes into the show starting
"Next letter is to Dr.Clark, Dear Dr.Clark, regarding Mrs Connie Connor 'comma'"
Is almost identical to the Amateur Transplants song "A Letter To The Patient's GP Please, Angela"?

Here are the lyric for comparison, it's almost uncanny how similar they are http://lyrics.wikia.com/Amateur_Transplants:A_Letter_To_The_Patient's_GP_Please,_Angela

Not sure if I'm missing something here or if this was another case of stolen content?

EDIT: I just noticed Adam Kay is credited in the credits of that show as a writer. Mystery solved!

Quote: Tim Lee @ 18th December 2013, 3:59 PM GMT

another case of stolen content?

There's not even been a first one yet!