2525 Page 15

Well done, Jaicee. Looking forward to hearing it.

Cool

Thanks to some of you and - ooh! get you you bitchy queen you!- to a few others.I hope they've re-written it into the ground and made it as funny as possible.I still get a credit and a payment anyway.

Quote: Jaicee @ 17th December 2013, 10:06 AM GMT

Thanks to some of you and - ooh! get you you bitchy queen you!-

Well done, but it irks when you see people giving terrible writing advice. Some poor lambs might actually take it on board.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 17th December 2013, 10:36 AM GMT

Well done, but it irks when you see people giving terrible writing advice. Some poor lambs might actually take it on board.

Yes but Stott your advice is like a yard based milkshakes.

in that "...you can teach us but you have to charge."

Quote: Jaicee @ 17th December 2013, 10:06 AM GMT

Thanks to some of you and - ooh! get you you bitchy queen you!- to a few others.I hope they've re-written it into the ground and made it as funny as possible.I still get a credit and a payment anyway.

And Jaicee nothing but the best wishes, it's always good to see BCG Alumni do well.
If you can't be a success surround yourself with success.

More a sardonic view of how on most of these comps, they strictly don't stick to the rules.

One of my entries should be being filmed by a Danish FX company in 2014 after some generous rewriting.

Quote: sootyj @ 17th December 2013, 10:42 AM GMT

Yes but Stott your advice is like a yard based milkshakes.

in that "...you can teach us but you have to charge."

I hand out free sips, a full gulp is going to cost.

Does that chat up line ever work?

Actually for a real bargain basement service I do editing.

I know it makes me laugh just reading that line myself.

Awesome news, congrats. :)

Quote: Tim Azure @ 19th December 2013, 12:49 PM GMT

Not much to show for 17 pages of discussion though, is it? :(

Ha ha!

I got a bit lost.

Somebody got something in and everyone said 'well done' and I was going to say it too but I couldn't quite work out who it was and if it was definitely in or whether they were waiting for the recording and really I was only looking anyway to see if anyone mentioned any of my sketches which were not only comedy gold but also sci-fi genius but it sounds like they've used old sketches and added a robot or an alien and I never really had a chance anyway but I'm still checking back to see if somebody will mention Simon Cowell being cloned and a Captain and his female ships computer and even now I feel bad cos I'm asking if my stuff got in and not congratulating anyone.

Won't ever surpass NewsJack for pages though.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 19th December 2013, 3:55 PM GMT

It was Jaicee. Well done.

Yeah I knew that.

Well done indeed!

It's his time of year.

Quote: Badge @ 19th December 2013, 6:24 PM GMT

It's his time of year.

Was that a very clever and perhaps slightly evangelical pun?

Here's a reality check for those here gathered who want to "make a living as a comedy writer". This is an excerpt from the very wordy contract from the production company.

"The Fee shall constitute an Inclusive payment for a complete buy out of all of the rights in and the
Programmes, the Services, all of the products of the Services (the Products)and the Work, and the
Writer shall not be entitled to any further sums whatsoever by reason of the exploitation of the Programmes, the Work and/or the Services or any allied and ancillary rights thereto."

In other words , no matter how many times the sketch is broadcast (on Radio 4 ,7 or again on 4 Extra) or released and sold as part of a CD , say , you get one payment and that's it.
Thankfully this is a nice wee hobby.Good luck at making a living from writing.Sorry , in advance, if this offends any fantasists.Hopefully some of the realists will get something from it.Still looking forward to hearing it broadcast , though.

Quote: Jaicee @ 21st December 2013, 11:39 AM GMT

Here's a reality check for those here gathered who want to "make a living as a comedy writer". This is an excerpt from the very wordy contract from the production company.

"The Fee shall constitute an Inclusive payment for a complete buy out of all of the rights in and the
Programmes, the Services, all of the products of the Services (the Products)and the Work, and the
Writer shall not be entitled to any further sums whatsoever by reason of the exploitation of the Programmes, the Work and/or the Services or any allied and ancillary rights thereto."

In other words , no matter how many times the sketch is broadcast (on Radio 4 ,7 or again on 4 Extra) or released and sold as part of a CD , say , you get one payment and that's it.
Thankfully this is a nice wee hobby.Good luck at making a living from writing.Sorry , in advance, if this offends any fantasists.Hopefully some of the realists will get something from it.Still looking forward to hearing it broadcast , though.

So if at the recording in January my 'Fecees the Gleerak' sketch goes really well, and it gets its own spin off show with merchandising deals that include McDonalds happy meals and an animated movie, they can do all of that without me getting any input/financial recompense? :(

Sorry , in advance, if this offends any fantasists.

Thanks I remember my first open access contract from the BBC, it's an improvement. In the olden days the BBC nor the stage shows paid for stuff sent in, you even had to pay for your own stamp, envelope and calories burned walking to the post box.

Indeed famously if you do well enough to get a second level invite to the News Quiz, you get expenses but not paid. Like most jobs you have to work awfully hard until you get a share of anything.

But if you've made the first step well done.

Personally I was delighted when for a couple of my books, I got paid up front and a share of the profits.