What ever happened to critique? Page 20

You are a mischeivous imp Yacov

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ 8th December 2013, 7:18 PM GMT

Speaking of which, my favourite thread on critique ever: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22367/ (I might be the only person who finds it fascinating).

Not seen that before. She is kind of like Cotter's evil twin.

That one got really out of control, more so than anything else I've seen on BCG.
With me amongst others getting trolled off of BCG.
Not actually funny, more a bit f**king mental.

Agreed. A lot of the time in comedy something works or it just doesn't. To explain why something is or isn't funny is incredibly difficult. Sometimes a simple "yes" or "no" would surfice.

Speaking of which, my favourite thread on critique ever: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22367/ (I might be the only person who finds it fascinating).

I'm confused about the occasional Teddy-love on critique. He really wasn't talented (I know he's gone now).

Have we seen her on TV yet?

You utter, utter goatf**ker.

may be my favourite insult of all time.

:O The sexual tension between this woman and the Bussell-chap just sizzled off the screen.

Crazies make critique less fun.

It's hard to critique effectively - the piece as a whole, the tone of it, the construction, the bits that zing, the bits that are genuinely interesting; conversely, the lines that fall dead, the lazy bits, the characters that are killing the work: it's tough to zero in on what needs to be said, what specifically can help, how to say it.

And it's only ever opinion. There's no right way in creative writing. Some absolute f**king motherless wanking c**t wrote "Dead Poets Society", and thousands of people loved it enough to make it into an expensive movie, which millions and millions of people continue to love. Had the screenplay arrived in my orbit, I've have no doubt blundered into praising the writer for writing such a spot-on parody of trite "be yourself, young man with floppy hair!" melodramas, electronically high-fiving him for hitting the bullseye with astute accuracy. I doubt his reply would have been as joyous to read.

The critique section here, for all its flaws, is brilliant. It's free, honest, worth dipping into. There's a madness to the scattershot replies, the bruised egos, the little fights that break out, but also, more often than not, there is excellent advice. Cut this line. Restructure this bit, tie it in with the bit about the puking fish. Love the saleswoman character, can she be in it more? Is there a point to to the rant Jason makes when he shits over the Golden Fleece? Maybe strengthen relationship between Max and Sid, so that they earn each other's respect when they both work out how to disarm the cow that's been laden with explosives?

All good, pointed, useful. Not always right, but thoughtful, constructive. Somebody took the time to read, think about, appreciate another writer's work. For free. If a piece gets more than half a dozen replies, viewpoints, that's gold dust. Over ten and do a little dance - there's a discussion happening about your work by people who don't have to do this, owe you nothing, just want to help.

Some of the comments I've read are so stupid I wonder if *I'm* utterly stupid for not comprehending their meaning - and I may well be. That's the joy of it. Some wankstain scrotum-faced piece of puke spent years writing "Dead Poets Society" instead of something that doesn't make me want to attack kittens with the jagged, wizened cock of Robin Williams.

There will be slow times, dead times, and yes perhaps there might be ways to improve the Critique section - I'd suggest regular queued critiques, when a bunch of members sign up to have things critiqued, and whilst waiting their turn join in the process of looking at the work of others before them in the list. Some way of uploading/reading PDF files would be enormously beneficial.

But how things are - they're fine. Not perfect, never that, but interesting, useful and good. It's tough to critique, to know what to say, how to say it. But from my years of being here (and I really should participate more, I know) more BCGF members know what to do than those that don't.

I liked 'Dead Poet's Society'

Quote: Marc P @ 8th December 2013, 11:27 PM GMT

I liked 'Dead Poet's Society'

;)

Plus I don't think it is fair to describe a writer in the terms you have. I know why you have done so, but I don't think it is helpful.

And your metaphor mixing when attacking the writer is nonsensical.

Quote: Marc P @ 8th December 2013, 11:44 PM GMT

Plus I don't think it is fair to describe a writer in the terms you have. I know why you have done so, but I don't think it is helpful.

And your metaphor mixing when attacking the writer is nonsensical.

Fair points. But it's "Dead Poets Society", and my ire knows no bounds.

Oh God, I couldn't read more than a few posts, I felt really bad for her for some reason. I felt like she already believed she was shit and was really defensive for that very reason. I just wanted to give her a cuddle.

Quote: Mr Ashdown @ 8th December 2013, 11:54 PM GMT

Fair points. But it's "Dead Poets Society", and my ire knows no bounds.

You have worked with Kev F I take it?

Quote: sglen @ 8th December 2013, 11:59 PM GMT

Oh God, I couldn't read more than a few posts, I felt really bad for her for some reason. I felt like she already believed she was shit and was really defensive for that very reason. I just wanted to give her a cuddle.

Lezzer

Quote: Ben @ 7th December 2013, 9:57 AM GMT

I don't think there's really anything wrong with "I like that". It proves that the piece of work has appealed to at least one person. It would be nice to hear which aspects in particular they liked, but you aren't always going to get that from an audience. "I don't like that" is equally valid, but again you do really want some type of reasoning behind the decision. It's very rare that a piece of work in critique gets nothing but "I like/I don't like" as there's plenty of useful advice from others.

I'm starting to soften on this, actually. It is different on a forum than an IRL workshop, after all. A simple 'I like/don't like' doesn't actually irritate me in any way. It's a little less useful than other comments, but it's not annoying, and it can be difficult to explain what was good about something.

Quote: sglen @ 8th December 2013, 11:59 PM GMT

I felt like she already believed she was shit and was really defensive for that very reason. I just wanted to give her a cuddle.

Yeah, I got that impression too. She was saying "I know this is shit" to hide her own insecurity. Her hope was everyone would say "no, really, it's great" and when they didn't she became a little bit..well, defensive, as you say.