Thank God You're Here - Paul Merton Page 13

Quote: Badge @ February 17, 2008, 12:25 AM

He does seem uncomfortable in it. I think it's because it isn't properly improv. The settings and structure seem to constrain him a bit. I saw him the other week at the Comedy Store Players and he (and they) were as good as ever, so I don't think he's "lost it" at all, just that the format doesn't suit his skills.

That's not Sally Lindsay that you're having a dig at is it?

Or is it the ginger girl?

Oh that one. I only watched the first couple of programmes.

Like most of ITV's saturday output it's hardly dynamic TV is it.

Well, we've got Ant & Dec back now... Rolling eyes

Quote: zooo @ February 17, 2008, 12:35 AM

That's what I mean. Casualty is much funnier.

Quote: David Chapman @ February 17, 2008, 12:36 AM

That's what I mean. Casualty is much funnier.

Maybe, but I prefer watching TV.

Oh joy of joys.

I can't believe we swapped Noel's House Party for Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway.

Almost makes me wish it was the mid 90s again.

I thought this last episode was the strongest yet. No one really let the side down. Best line came from Rufus Hound... about giving his granddad a bath with a toaster.

Whilst I'm posting, I think the ensemble cast deserve a mention. They may have been a little concerned with trying to stick to their pre-determined scripts, but I still think they all did fine job. Oh, and also credit to the set designers for some great locations.

Despite the low ratings, ITV are apparently quite happy with the show so we might well see another series. I hope it does get a second chance as I feel the faults in this first can be ironed out fairly easily.

Basically, if you're reading this ITV - just cut the waffle! I'd rather see an extra two minutes of each scene, or a fifth performer appear each week, than to listen to a clearly uncomfortable Paul Merton 'um' and 'er' his way through a couple of minutes of small talk in an attempt to pad things out to the allotted time.

Definitely agreed on the ensemble.

(I still think that LAST week's episode was the strongest though.)

Quote: Mark @ February 17, 2008, 2:33 PM

Whilst I'm posting, I think the ensemble cast deserve a mention. They may have been a little concerned with trying to stick to their pre-determined scripts, but I still think they all did fine job.

I agree with that. I think they were particularly excellent in the final 2 episodes, where they seemed to go with the flow a little bit more.

Basically, if you're reading this ITV - just cut the waffle! I'd rather see an extra two minutes of each scene, or a fifth performer appear each week, than to listen to a clearly uncomfortable Paul Merton 'um' and 'er' his way through a couple of minutes of small talk in an attempt to pad things out to the allotted time.

To be fair, they have cut a lot of the waffle down as it is. At one stage they had a whole behind the scenes interview after each guest went on.

Here we have similar names. I am Charley R too.

Why? No matter how they tinker with the format, it's now going through the same meltdown as 'House Party' did.

Quote: Aaron @ February 16, 2008, 11:23 PM

Is it just me, or has Paul constantly been the worst performer? Maybe he's just been unlucky and got the worst scenarios, but even against that aggravating Coronation Street woman, he was poor. :(

I caught a bit of an episode the other day and thought his improv on the Titanic ship was REALLY poor and not funny at all.

Indeed... in fact -why don't we just cut him out entirely!

I have a theory about Ant and Dec.

If they wear jeans on a show, they are good on it : SMTV and I'm A Celeb (the celeb bit is boring but their bits are funny.)

If they wear suits, they're rubbish : Saturday Takeaway, Britain's Got Talent and Pop Idol.