Toast Of London - Series 1 Page 3

Loved and laughed through both episodes so far.

Does Matt own that glass fronted shop?
It's been in every episode (I think?) and he had a fight in it in every episode of Snuff Box . . . WHISKY!

The Bowls mix-up was hilarious . . . and there's that location again . . .

Matt's voice means he can make a normal line seem funny.

Quote: groovydude89 @ 21st October 2013, 12:38 PM BST

I thought it was a big improvement on last year's pilot, and I especially liked the hoarding scene.

Anyone who enjoys Toast Of London should also check out Arthur Mathew's first solo sitcom Hippies, which in my opinion is vastly underrated.

Hippies manages the truly formidable achievement of being the worst thing Simon Pegg's ever done.
Kudos.

Do love the show though.
Brucie was great.
"Good game, good game."

Some laugh out loud moments for me in ep.3, and nice to see the Hunka Wunda chappie make an appearance.

It was a good episode with plenty of sniggers for me.

I noticed that the man playing the taxi driver was also in an episode of Knowing Me, Knowing You. He seems to have been playing an older gent for nearly 20 years, but has barely aged.

Quote: Ben @ 6th November 2013, 7:03 PM GMT

It was a good episode with plenty of sniggers for me.

I noticed that the man playing the taxi driver was also in an episode of Knowing Me, Knowing You. He seems to have been playing an older gent for nearly 20 years, but has barely aged.

He's been in loads whenever they need an old Cockney geezer hardman . . .he was also in Matt's Snuff Box as a foul mouthed vicar at a hanging . . .

I have to say, I'm quite enjoying this so far- just catching up on 4OD. Matt Berry needed a vehicle for his oddness, post-IT Crowd. Doon's tipsy agent is just right.
Quasi-surrealism in comedy sometimes means any old tosh, but this gets it about right. I'm not sure how long it can sustain it, though- it depends also on the retro angle of the delivery (Toast occasionally sounds like Simon Templar in his delivery). Ray Purchase has a bit of Jason King about him, perhaps.

One feature I could do without, though- shoehorning a song into each programme so far. Berry sounds a little like a 60s psychedelic pop vocalist (Zombies or Simon Dupree, say) which isn't a bad thing, just find the songs naff. Perhaps it's the fault of Ricky Gervais/David Brent...

I love the song/4th wall break. It really reinforces Toast as the spiritual successor to Snuff Box. I can't figure out why I like Matt Berry's Jesus Christ Superstar inspired acid jazz so much, but ever since AD/BC I've been hooked.

Quote: Fred C Dobbs @ 11th November 2013, 7:29 PM GMT

One feature I could do without, though- shoehorning a song into each programme so far. Berry sounds a little like a 60s psychedelic pop vocalist (Zombies or Simon Dupree, say) which isn't a bad thing, just find the songs naff. Perhaps it's the fault of Ricky Gervais/David Brent...

Yep, I'm yet to see a comedy programme with songs where I've thought 'yes, that song really added something' rather than, 'thank f**k that's over'. I include Flight of the Concords in that by the way, which I realise kind of negates the point of the programme...

Just caught up with this on 4OD.

What a gem it is. It has taken all the elements of Snuff Box that worked well and merged them into a more palatable format for the average TV viewer. The only thing that kind of grinds with me are the musical numbers but they only take up a minute or so.

I hope this does well.

Sniggered several times at the last episode. Always good to see Rufus Jones pop up as Matt Stott and I once 'acted' opposite him. He's practically BCG family.

There's something about the theme tune that I love too. It's got a sorrowful feel to it. Tinged with regret and quite emotive. I may need to get out more...

Only one episode left, but this has been one of the best sitcoms of 2013.

Apologies to the comedically-illiterate scum, with your 'Citizen Khan', your 'Father Figure' and your 'Miranda Hart Makes A Perfunctory Appearance On Comic Relief' fan-dom. This is proper comedy, you confused proles! (Apparently, MH is a real c**t to work with in real life, even when she's falling over again hilariously.)

Only three shows have been officially 'good' this year - 'Toast Of London', 'Chickens' and 'Plebs'.

Only three, which is somewhat disappointing.

This show is properly funny. Arthur Matthews was obviously always the talented one...

Ciao! :)

Quote: T.W. @ 18th November 2013, 12:05 AM GMT

Only one episode left, but this has been one of the best sitcoms of 2013.

Apologies to the comedically-illiterate scum, with your 'Citizen Khan', your 'Father Figure' and your 'Miranda Hart Makes A Perfunctory Appearance On Comic Relief' fan-dom. This is proper comedy, you confused proles! (Apparently, MH is a real c**t to work with in real life, even when she's falling over again hilariously.)

Only three shows have been officially 'good' this year - 'Toast Of London', 'Chickens' and 'Plebs'.

Only three, which is somewhat disappointing.

This show is properly funny. Arthur Matthews was obviously always the talented one...

Ciao! :)

Oh yes! (done in Toast's sex voice)

This show is just wall to wall funny. Every little aspect of it is hilarious. It's like it was made in another time, when British comedy didn't try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I really hope this gets a second series.