The brilliant Helen Lederer is crowdfunding! Page 7

Quote: playfull @ October 31 2013, 3:32 PM GMT

15%

Pitiful result so far, seems to me HL has been ill advised with this thing, maybe it was 'talked up' by the PR company overseeing it.

Quote: Harridan @ 1st November 2013, 1:29 PM GMT

I wonder if the woman who posted this thread checked back to see what had become of her attempt to drum up business and then backed away.

Well, she works for the crowdfunding site in question according to Google, so odds are pretty good it's a "yes".

Quote: Harridan @ 1st November 2013, 1:29 PM GMT

I wonder if the woman who posted this thread checked back to see what had become of her attempt to drum up business and then backed away.

That's sexist!

:S

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd October 2013, 7:18 PM BST

What a smug fellow you are!

It's true. I even deliberately misquoted Richard III to make you look more ignorant.

Quote: Jennie @ 24th October 2013, 12:18 PM BST

Errr

Unless you're being catty that a surprising thing to write - aren't you a barrister?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 2nd November 2013, 10:50 AM GMT

It's true. I even deliberately misquoted Richard III to make you look more ignorant

It worked! You made me look ignorant and you came shining through.

:O Is that a gun you're holding there, Stephen? Steady on chaps, it's only a comedy forum. On the topic of the thread, I share the scything cynicism of some on here in many matters. However, by projecting myself into a similar position of acquired notability in a creative endeavour, in my head, I can find more sympathy with such people as HL who look for ways to prolong or revive their careers by such business-like methods. The old club comedians who chiselled out a name and a good career for themselves were often good businessmen too like Manning and Brown who invested money into their own venues to get themselves a decent living.

They've done well in the past in a very competitive market. Marketing savvy agents will tell them 'You have a brand! There's money to be made.' So it's very hard for the waning star of yesteryear to give up on it all and put the spangly jacket away. How many Bobby Davros or Eddie Larges have filled up your shopping bags at Tescos? Very very few I'd reckon. Maybe Sid Little, but that's about it.

On the crowdfunding thing, I know too little about. If she's not investing her own money like Godot suggests she do, then maybe she doesn't have that much or still rents. I was told that many stars of this or that don't necessarily own their own homes, even if they get good money on some ventures. The topsy turvy nature of the comedy and drama professions and the high costs of London property excludes many a well known face from owning their own, I believe.

I don't think anyone is objecting to Helen Lederer putting on a show, it's Helen Lederer trying to use crowd-funding to fund her show when she seems to be doing fairly well for herself, and her show seems to be already paid for and successful enough for additional dates to be requested. As Badge said - crowd-insuranceagainstlosses.

Ah yes, see addendum above.

Quote: Harridan @ 3rd November 2013, 12:10 PM GMT

when she seems to be doing fairly well for herself,

Do we know this for sure?

Apparently she has a £900,000 house that she showed off in an interior designs piece for a newspaper, so while she might not have much in the way of liquid assets (who knows?), that still counts as doing pretty well in my books.

Quote: Harridan @ 3rd November 2013, 12:10 PM GMT

As Badge said - crowd-insuranceagainstlosses.

Yes, I see that distinction now, but are you sure greedy marketing savvy agents aren't the real driving force behind this? They stand to do well of their clients' success and we know from sport, soap acting and just reality show nobodies, agents have done very well out of pushing their clients in our faces wherever possible.

Oh yes, I think she's been convinced that it's a good idea by some other people, not least the crowd-sourcing company.

Quote: Cara Pleym @ 19th October 2013, 12:26 PM BST

Ladies and Gentlemen, clear the mini bar, Dame Helen Lederer is back in the building.

Yes, awful and false, over casual and glib marketing copy may get my back up too, like it seems to have with others here. >_<

Quote: Cara Pleym @ 20th October 2013, 2:03 PM BST

Helen is putting on a one woman show so yes needs to pay costs upfront. But crowdfunding is also about raising awareness and engaging with fans on a different level - there are some exclusive rewards for backers!

Ah I see, so some ad exec or dodgy entrepreneur had an idea to replace traditional arts promoting done by a promoter or the artist themself who pitches for a show and stumps up the material costs themselves for a share of the takings, with completely speculative marketing which attempts to sell products that cannot find traditional backers. It's like selling public shares in a company but not giving out money dividends when it makes a profit, but selling little rewards for funding the project. Isn't this another version of the chain letter scam, Cara?

Hmm, the phrase wanting your cake and eating it is in my head, yes. But instead of wishing the artists go and fill some shelves for a living I really believe it's the 'creatives' as they very cheekily like to call themselves, who should get out of their comfy swivel chairs and start earning their crust. I've met a few of the tossers, the term 'hard work' for them means getting through the fifth course at some poncy restaurant. Angry

Quote: Fred C Dobbs @ 23rd October 2013, 9:22 PM BST

It is a fair old do when someone as successful as HL is seeking this input, laudable though the intentions can be. Back in the 70s/80s or thereabouts, she and her peers were no doubt trekking to the Edinburgh Fringe, playing to 5 people for peanuts (no, actual peanuts, they needed the protein).

Laughing out loud

Why is all the Lederer gone?

No sign of the HL crowdfunding page...

I genuinely wish her luck with the shows. I hope they are actually a great success and she gets to fund the next ones out of the last ones.

It just looked (in my opinion) like an ill judged project for crowdfunding, possibly as a result of poor advice (as others have mentioned). If Helen has been reading this thread it would be interesting to hear her thoughts.