George & Mildred Page 6

The next door neighbors were good.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2013, 7:55 PM BST

Have to feel for poor Mildred really as she was a sexual woman but George just didn't want to know preferring his dirty mags.

Replace Mildred and George with Peggy and Al.
By the way, is it recommendable to watch Man About The House first before starting with G&M? (Still thinking about my next Sitcom DVD purchase)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 16 2013, 7:59 PM BST

By the way, is it recommendable to watch Man About The House first before starting with G&M?

Yes and no.

Yes in that that's the chronological order of the shows' production.

No in that George & Mildred requires no prior knowledge of the characters whatsoever, can be watched as a wholly separate series, and is the best of all three shows.

From a historical viewpoint alone, I'd advise Man About The House first, but there really is no definitive reason for you to do so.

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2013, 8:13 PM BST

From a historical viewpoint alone, I'd advise Man About The House first, but there really is no definitive reason for you to do so.

I think I'll act on that advice. Thanks.

I personally think George and Mildred was better than Man About The House.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2013, 7:55 PM BST

Have to feel for poor Mildred really as she was a sexual woman but George just didn't want to know preferring his dirty mags.

Which is why George & Mildred is so similar in spirit to Married With Children, apart from George and Mildred not having kids.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 16 2013, 7:59 PM BST

Replace Mildred and George with Peggy and Al.

Ah, as you said.

Watching the re-runs on ITV 3. Even better than remembered. It's one of the shows that can make me laugh out loud. And this time I paid special attention to the script. Mortimer and Cooke were underrated.

When George and Mildred has finished it re-runs on ITV 3,Do you think they will show OTB again?

Quote: David Smith @ October 24 2013, 8:03 PM BST

When George and Mildred has finished it re-runs on ITV 3,Do you think they will show OTB again?

:)

I'd be happy if all the best series went round and round forever.

BBC TV, ITV3, BBC 4E........anywhere.

Apart from music, it is the nearest people have ever come to creating a form of weather.

I know I'm in the minority but I do think that must have found a better actor than Brian Murphy.

Quote: Chappers @ October 24 2013, 9:19 PM BST

I know I'm in the minority but I do think that must have found a better actor than Brian Murphy.

Have to admit that I liked Brian Murphy in it and the fantastic Yootha Joyce.

The series on currently also features Roy Kinnear who always makes me laugh.

Both Yootha and Roy died far too early - at 53 and 54.

Sheila Fearn appears to have retired from the business aged 48:

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/4415013.Whatever_happened_to_Sheila_Fearn_/

I'm loving the repeats on ITV3. Saves having to dig the DVDs out. I like how Reginald Marsh is in it from Terry & June. In G&M he is really calm and friendly, then in T&J he's like 'TERRY!'.

Ah, lovely Reginald Marsh. His appearance is the mark of a truly wonderful sitcom.

Avril Elgar who played Humphrey's wife was exceptionally good too. Always loved the scenes she had with Mildred.

My favourite is the one where they are visiting and the lamp moves as if it has a life of its own.