The brilliant Helen Lederer is crowdfunding! Page 5

booyah

Quote: playfull @ October 23 2013, 12:02 AM BST

That is a huge certificate just for swimming, where do you keep a 25m certificate?

:D

I use it to house a society of super-intelligent field-mice, but I'm getting concerned about their recent scientific discoveries so I am quite keen to get rid of this thing now.

Quote: Harridan @ October 20 2013, 4:24 PM BST

The whole ethos of crowdfunding is that people who don't have other ways to fund worthwhile projects look to the internet to support them. Lederer clearly doesn't need to crowdfund her show as she has enough money herself and a high enough profile to get funding through traditional means. It does annoy me quite a bit that celebrities are now trying to jump on the bandwagon and get other people to stump up the cash that they would previously have paid out of their own pocket or got in exchange for a decent return. She's overshadowing worthwhile projects, and the original poster is trying to secure the funding so her company can get paid.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2013, 4:28 PM BST

I just don't see the big deal, sorry. You see people trying to crowd fund everywhere. Is Lederer really the first (or the worst) one you've seen that you don't think should be doing it?

Sorry Zoo, but coming directly after Harridan's elegant summation your post displays a level of intellectual passivity I would associate more with Katie Price than you. Did you read it? Do you really think it's no big deal?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ October 22 2013, 8:32 AM BST

A lot of people getting their knickers in a twist here.

Good luck to her, she's only trying to earn a living.
What would you want her to do, sell her million pound house so she can earn a crust - would you?

What about the BBC's crowd funding; ie the license fee where you don't have a choice of stumping up nearly £150.

1. She could easily raise the money by re-mortgaging her house - she doesn't have to sell it.

2. I'm amused by the Dickensian turns of phrase: 'trying to earn a living', 'earn a crust' - She's not trying to do any of those things. No-one has to be on TV.

3. Your comparison with the BBC is best dispelled by looking up the words 'private' and 'public' in a dictionary.

Since like Richard III you appear to be 'in the giving vein', perhaps you'd like to help finance my forthcoming sex-tour of Bohemia and the low countries. I need ten grand for drinks and tips and a kitty of two thousand to have my arsehole repaired upon my return.

Are you in?

When you say in?

Quote: Marc P @ October 23 2013, 3:22 PM BST

When you say in?

Are you supporting my latest crowd funding scheme.

I need 2.5 billion pounds to fund my latest project. But I've forgotten what it is, it's probably something to do with otters. Though my publisher assures me it involves me writing a book.
Either way it's not to pay my enormous bar tab at the Scrofulous lobster.

So if one of you charming peasants donates me some wonga I will,

1 Write my next book about you £50

2 Not write my book about you £100

3 Murder a prossy and bury her in your garden and write a book about it £5,000,000

4 Get drunk, take my shirt off and stand outside your hovel demanding you duel me like a gentleman. £2.50

5 Set the dog on you £10,000

6 Get a haircut £100

How much for you to set the wife on me you cad!

I note her web site says -

"Following the huge sell-out success of Helen's WTF shows this summer, Helen is set to return to the St James Theatre for two further shows this November."

Guess she really needs our money...

I mean in fairness all shows are expensive as is all recording even when people work for free.

And as Lord Sir Alan Sugar says the measure of wealth is the size of cheque you can write that won't bounce.

So I can where she's coming from.

I mean I did some bits and pieces for kick starter projects and in most cases, it's someone's got a really burning idea and it's the only way they can get the funding.

I was the comedy writer in residence for the NYC festival of dance dontcha know.

I neither danced, went to NYC or was particularly funny.

But my point is, her show was a sell out success before and she is booked to go back already. If she does not reach the target she will still do the two nights and presumably make money.

The project does not appear to be dependent on the success of the crowdfunding which I thought was kind of the idea?

It looks like this isn't so much "crowdfunding" as "crowdinsuranceagainstlosses".

Also lined up for the show:

Jay Rayner, The Observer's Restaurant Critic -

"I once claimed I ate in lousy restaurants so you wouldn't have to. The circumstances today are subtly different. I ate at Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons because you never will. Cue outbreaks of words like "obscenity" and "shameless", and that's from my own family.

To which I can only say go get angry about something that really matters, which does not include the way those lucky enough to have the surplus income choose to spend it."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/15/le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons-restaurant-review

and Yasmin Alibhai-Brown - Weekly Columnist of the Independent.

There is no clarity on whether they are being paid.

This article removes any argument that there is naivety. Entitled "Crowdfunding: Cutting Edge or 21st Century Begging?", it doesn't address its own question as those who added comments have pointed out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/helen-lederer/crowdfunding_b_4134820.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 23 2013, 2:16 PM BST

Sorry Zoo, but coming directly after Harridan's elegant summation your post displays a level of intellectual passivity I would associate more with Katie Price than you. Did you read it? Do you really think it's no big deal?

I did think it sounded rather obnoxious when I wrote it. But I couldn't get up the energy to edit it.

I just think people are capable of ignoring crowdfunding requests without getting all up in arms, that's all. The word 'harrassment' has been used to describe people asking for funding when they don't deserve/need it. The thread has a pretty descriptive title, if you're not interested, don't read it.

And if a person thinks this thread constitutes harrassment, to be fair they should really get out more. Try being a woman on a night bus for example.

Quote: zooo @ October 23 2013, 5:19 PM BST

I did think it sounded rather obnoxious when I wrote it. But I couldn't get up the energy to edit it.

I just think people are capable of ignoring crowdfunding requests without getting all up in arms, that's all. The word 'harrassment' has been used to describe people asking for funding when they don't deserve/need it. The thread has a pretty descriptive title, if you're not interested, don't read it.

And if a person thinks this thread constitutes harrassment, to be fair they should really get out more. Try being a woman on a night bus for example.

I think the word "harass" was used not to describe an event or indeed a thread but to help prevent events leading to harassment. The principal way that was put forward for helping prevent harassment generally in crowd funding was a requirement for crowd funding requests to be geared specifically rather than randomly.

Actually I had never heard of crowd funding. It was entirely new to me. I assumed it was giving money to a crowd rather like the Queen gives Maundy Money to the needy. That it was "about charity" attracted me.

You no doubt have a stance on whether the original post was specifically or randomly targeted. I don't require clarification on that matter. Somehow I doubt that the thread would still be in place if it had been posted by an ordinary member of the public. But that is up to you. Not all have the alluring fame factor!

I think there have been one or two threads started on the forums by people who aren't famous.

Quote: zooo @ October 23 2013, 6:41 PM BST

I think there have been one or two threads started on the forums by people who aren't famous.

Yes indeed - and long may it continue.

Not that I ever have myself.