After Newsrevue???

OK - I'm not a regular contributor having had about half a dozen sketches three or four years ago and then another three over recent months.

We basically do it for experience because we know there's no money involved.

However has anyone progressed to any aid work as a result?

Are there any companies who pick up on regular contributors to offer paid work?

Ok in a word no, just check out the maths it would never add up.

So how do you make money? Well at this stage you can build a reputation in comedy and hope standups pay you for stuff, or go for every oppo at the BBC and hope you get noticed.

But most shows don't make any money.

I make my dosh freelancing speech writing and any other crap going via my website and freelancing site.

But no there is no predictable, easily accessible income from sketch writing.

Have wondered the same myself as I quite like the sketch writing and much as I enjoy NR, it would be great to find a niche where there was decent regular money coming in but finding that is a job in itself. Most of us on here are juggling day jobs, some like me with kids etc, so it seems a huge task to even find the time to focus the mind on the next steps, I find I get bogged down so keep with the familiar routes yet if time were permitting I'd really like to branch out into something else.

Making money out of writing comedy is akin to making it as a professional footballer.

Many try, only a small percentage are successful.

And one racist joke to the wrong audience and it's all over.

:D

The difference is though most would be footballers accept they're never going to make it pro by the time they hit 25 or so...us lot can just keep going and going with the dreams 'til we drop Eh?

I think with any worth while job there's a pain barrier.

With some jobs more so than others. The move from Newsjack onto the next level takes years of success.

I get decent coin off of Elance, but that was after doing a lot of shitty jobs.

Since 1953, around 3,000 people have climbed Everest.

That's a lot more than people who have made a living from writing comedy.

Quote: AndyGilder @ October 22 2013, 12:18 PM BST

Making money out of writing comedy is akin to making it as a professional footballer.

Sort of, though top footballers have to be extremely talented whilst comedy writers can make it with average talent if they know the right people.

Nigel Clough is an unusual case of a footballer with the right connections.

Certainly in the UK there is a depressing tendency to see the same names again and again.

Quote: sootyj @ October 22 2013, 2:22 PM BST

Certainly in the UK there is a depressing tendency to see the same names again and again.

Same as anywhere, I would think. If you get in, and manage to work hard and stay in, you would hope you will carry on getting work. It'd be a bit of a bummer to find yourself immediately kicked out for the next new name, anyway! Obviously even getting a chance to prove yourself is the frustrating part; and for many a barrier that they'll never get over. Cheery thought for you all.

Quote: Jinky @ October 22 2013, 2:17 PM BST

Nigel Clough is an unusual case of a footballer with the right connections.

At the risk of going off topic - and as a Forest fan old enough to remember him playing I have to disagree - Nigel was an extremely talented player.

Quote: playfull @ October 22 2013, 4:12 PM BST

At the risk of going off topic - and as a Forest fan old enough to remember him playing I have to disagree - Nigel was an extremely talented player.

I don't think Jinky stated that he wasn't talented - just that he was unusual in having contacts when most footballers probably have none.

Whilst sort of on topic: What schedule does Treason run to for submitting material? (or should I start another thread to ask that)

They prefer you to email them some samples so look up their website

But its every couple of months

Quote: sootyj @ October 22 2013, 5:50 PM BST

Cheers Sootyj

Two shows in November for The Treason Show - 14th and 22nd.

Cut-off dates approximately:

Songs - 3rd November
Long sketches - 5th November
Shorter sketches - 9th November
One-liners and quickies up to the day of the show usually.