The brilliant Helen Lederer is crowdfunding! Page 2

Well fair enough, that's your opinion and crowdfunding can't work for everything but we're not giving up that easy! Crowdfunding is still new but there is massive market potential, it will become the norm one day, rather than the exception.

Anyway, if you're not interested that's fine but I do hope Helen's fans will support and share her project :)

Quote: Cara Pleym @ October 19 2013, 12:26 PM BST

Ladies and Gentlemen, clear the mini bar, Dame Helen Lederer is back in the building.

That's right, the middle aged comedienne is joining the 21st century and crowdfunding her fab show Why The Fuss? With guests such as Radio 4's Mark Lawson and journalist Suzanne Moore, this is definitely a show that you'll want to get involved in! Find out more info, and become a producer here: http://www.bloomvc.com/project/Helen-Lederer-WTF

Are you suggesting that the three of them combined don't have well over a million?

I'm increasingly beginning to think that this whole thing is just a way for Helen Lederer to put on a show (that is unlikely to be financially viable) without having to incur any costs or risk herself, while if it does turn out to be a success she gets to keep all the profit. Nice.

In 2006, her house was worth £900,000:

http://www.independent.co.uk/property/house-and-home/my-home-helen-lederer-comedian-407544.html

Frankly, I think the whole initiative stinks.

Uh-huh. Well, this is a nice scam isn't it - Helen Lederer gets other people to pay for her show and the crowdfunding website gets a nice cut of the donations.

Quote: don rushmore @ October 20 2013, 2:37 PM BST

Tell people what these 'exclusive rewards' are and they might stump up some cash. It's a business venture so be open and honest. Scrap the mystery prize nonsense.

Apologies - you have listed the exclusive rewards. Good luck with it all. :)

Well, you can read more about how she had been "persuaded" to give crowd fleecing - no, sorry, crowd funding - a go on her website. That's the place where she talks about more than a little shoplifting in her youth and not being proud of it. Who would be living in a, quote "f**k off house" worth a million quid?

Of the funding, she says that the St James Theatre had asked her back to do two more nights on November 7th and November 28th. She said 'yes' but not having the personnel of most modern comedians - (agent, manager, carer, driver and product provider) she was drawn to crowd funding:

"If it works, I might be asking you to crowd fund me a modest flat in Byranston Square as well - but for now it's just for the show thanks."

Lederer, 59, is a regular after dinner speaker and has written articles for many newspapers in addition to her extensive acting career. She does charity work and has a senior position in the Prince's Trust. Perhaps she should get some contact with those among the starving who still have the pride not to ask for money.

I'm not really sure Lederer or this poster has really done anything to warrant some of the reaction on this thread. Anyone can crowdfund. If you don't want to donate, just don't!

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2013, 4:10 PM BST

I'm not really sure Lederer or this poster has really done anything to warrant some of the reaction on this thread. Anyone can crowdfund. If you don't want to donate, just don't!

I am.

Well let's all burn the witch then.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2013, 4:12 PM BST

Well let's all burn the witch then.

Let's put it this way. I have no income - a situation of three years - and increasingly my money will run out. I am fortunate in that there is possibly a little money to see me through the next 17 years until my pension.

That, though, is by no means certain and it largely depends on how the rest of my parents lives go. I have many times every week considered that the streets could be my home at 55 or 60 and it's a real worry.

I'd never ask for money. That is not the way I was raised. In that scenario, it would be a matter of life or death and death would be more likely. I think about that too daily not as likelihood but distinct possibility.

And I am not overly bothered about that much although it has had detrimental health impacts. Life is full of uncertainties for many. What bothers me more is that I know that others are in that situation right now.

I think to have people who are worth hundreds of thousands of pounds begging for money is sickening, vile and thoroughly immoral. That's my position. You can call it whatever you like. That's entirely up to you.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2013, 4:10 PM BST

The whole ethos of crowdfunding is that people who don't have other ways to fund worthwhile projects look to the internet to support them. Lederer clearly doesn't need to crowdfund her show as she has enough money herself and a high enough profile to get funding through traditional means. It does annoy me quite a bit that celebrities are now trying to jump on the bandwagon and get other people to stump up the cash that they would previously have paid out of their own pocket or got in exchange for a decent return. She's overshadowing worthwhile projects, and the original poster is trying to secure the funding so her company can get paid.

I just don't see the big deal, sorry. You see people trying to crowd fund everywhere. Is Lederer really the first (or the worst) one you've seen that you don't think should be doing it?

The thread just seemed to get a little bit villagers gathering with burny sticks. And I found it a bit of an overreaction, that's all.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2013, 4:28 PM BST

I just don't see the big deal, sorry. You see people trying to crowd fund everywhere. Is Lederer really the first (or the worst) one you've seen that you don't think should be doing it?

The thread just seemed to get a little bit villagers gathering with burny sticks. And I found it a bit of an overreaction, that's all.

As I say, that's up to you.

Yes, and now you've said it again.