Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 4

I wonder how they'll deal with the disappearance of the corner shop as they were back in the not so long ago day. Now it's all corporate shops open 24 hours with CCTV up the rear end and so forth.
Anyway, my idea is that Arkwright Grocer's will, or could be, the last of a dying breed... a reminder of an England overtaken by soulless corporations.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:14 PM BST

I'll watch it but this can't work:

1. No Ronnie Barker/Arkwright
2. Granville is 120 years old so what made him funny in the original shows, being an unexperienced insecure boy, can't be revisited now.
3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

So nearly every aspect of the original premise is missing. You can't do a James Bond movie without the main character, without a manic villain and technical gadgets.

There's one in Holt. :)

David Jason spoke about this on The One Show on Monday evening.

Marc P:
Post a pic from that little grocery store in Holt
:)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:14 PM BST

I'll watch it but this can't work:

3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

He's not browning up to be Asian is he?

I'm really intrigued as to how they are going to make this work.

If it's crap at least it's just a one off and can easily be forgotten.

To be fair though as long as Granville isn't running a Tesco Express it should be an interesting watch whatever happens.

David Jason on his plan to bring back Open All Hours without friend Ronnie Barker http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/436299/David-Jason-on-his-plan-to-bring-back-Open-All-Hours-without-friend-Ronnie-Barker

Thanks for the article.

David Jason is not really a "young-looking" 73 year old if you ask me.

Open all Hours was absolutely brilliant, but without Ronnie Barker as Arkwright it can't be nearly as funny. It was the partnership between David Jason and Ronnie's brilliant timing that made it. It can only spoil the memory of a classic by trying to bring it back. This programme was from the golden age of television, there are very, very few modern programmes to hold a candle to the old comedy programmes.

I believe I think this should be a great comeback and maybe a couple of series maybe and even re-live OFAH with Del Boy and Rodney and Raquel and Cassandra, to see what baby Joan has grown up and Damien too. I think John Sullivan's son Jim should consider this and maybe bring it back for a series or two? In memory of his father John Sullivan's live on for ever as it would be fantastic, and a tribute for Mike, Uncle Albert and Grandad.

Quote: Marc P @ 16th October 2013, 8:35 AM BST

There's one in Holt. :) The only sells me sherry, well when I say sells me I wonder into the place via the window (opened by me with a rock usually) and drink what ever I find around the place.

He says he'll call the police, but they just duff him up, what with me being a justice of the peace and all.

He has a lovely wife, strong jaw can real take a thump.

Marc are you surethat's a grocers?

I must say that I am quite looking forward to the return of Open All Hours, I just hope that it doesn't let us down and actually does offer up some funny material. I was actually quite shocked to see that Roy Clarke is still writing stuff, he must be knocking on a bit now?

I suppose it's too much to hope that Sydney Lotterby, OBE is producer/director on Still Open All Hours?

He's 87, and his last credit was "As Time Goes By" in 2005 - when he was 79.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ 9th November 2013, 4:29 PM GMT

I suppose it's too much to hope that Sydney Lotterby, OBE is producer/director on Still Open All Hours?

If you refer to our guide, you'll see the answer.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th November 2013, 7:08 PM GMT

If you refer to our guide, you'll see the answer.

Thanks.

Well, I'm disappointed but not surprised. Hope his name is in the credits somewhere.