Father Figure - Series 1 Page 2

I went to see a recording of this at Elstree. It's not great. The problem is the basic premise - a stay at home dad is useless - is outdated and not funny. There are lots of men who stay at home, do housework and look after their kids.

Michael Smiley was good fun, chatting to us all. He asked a 12 year old audience member whether his favourite swear word was "f**k" or "c**t".

Quote: Jennie @ September 19 2013, 10:41 PM BST

Michael Smiley was good fun, chatting to us all. He asked a 12 year old audience member whether his favourite swear word was "f**k" or "c**t".

Charming! What did the parents do? Laugh?

Quote: Chappers @ September 19 2013, 9:28 PM BST

Am I just blinkered or were Karen Taylor's bits the funniest?

(Not a euphemism.)

No, that was my feeling too. Probably because they weren't laboured.

Quote: Aaron @ September 19 2013, 10:48 PM BST

No, that was my feeling too. Probably because they weren't laboured.

Yes - just delivered straight and without a stupid Oirish accent.

Maybe a Northern one though.

Awful awful awful awful. I went to a script reading with Declan et al in dear old London Town. There were 6 scripts one of which was outstanding (not mine unfortunately). All but one would have been better than this. I do not for the life of me understand what the hell is going on at the BBC. It's pants and really really annoying Angry Angry Angry Rant over.

Karen Taylor! She's good

I watched it this afternoon and I can't say I'm overly impressed by it. The BBC should have given The Wright Way another go, IMO I thought it was really funny and the BBC had found its next hit but Father Figure is sadly just not it!

I agree with you Chappers.

In my opinion Karen Taylor has been off the screen far too long.

Don't give up on this one you doubters. The great British public often move in mysterious ways.

Not even going to bother with this one. BBC1 (as well as BBC3) is really dire in the comedy department these days.

This is the best imitation of a total crap American sitcom I have ever seen. Maybe it is a really brilliant surreal satire. Probably not.

First time I have ever seen Jason Byrne or anyone else on this show. Please God let it be the last time. What is the BBC doing? Get rid of whoever let this get past the talking stage. I don't care if they already have a season in the can. Bury the can in the backyard and pave over the damn thing. What a stinker!!!!

What comedy do you enjoy folks or do you just prefer to be negative and assume you'll appear knowledgeable?

I love the show. Can't beat a good bit of classic slapstick.

I watched it this morning and actually chuckled a couple times. But the show was too predictable and appeared to try too hard throwing every single cliche sight gag imaginable in 1 episode.

It may grow on me like Count Arthur Strong and Citizen Khan eventually did, but that might be a bit hard. They need to let me know who these people are.

Yes - just delivered straight and without a stupid Oirish accent.

Maybe a Northern one though.

There were no stupid Oirish accents in it. Just several Irish people speaking in their genuine accent. Unless of course you're saying you find the Irish accent stupid.

Well said, Ringo. The main cast are all genuine Irish people. The only exception is Karen Taylor who has a genuinely broad Northern accent.

The story, according to Jason Byrne is based on his own family. His wife is originally from the North of England.

I don't have anything significant to add, really, I agree with all the negative reviews, it seemed weak and sloppy and overdone. And it didn't make me laugh. In fact, it came close to being one of the weakest of all the weak sitcoms I've seen this year.