Father Figure - Series 1

New Sitcom starts in 15 minutes, doesn't look much good but here's a thread for it anyway.

What a positive start to a new thread!

I thought - I know her face. Not Pauline McLynn. My ex-Avatar!!!

How I've missed her. She is a good comedy actress.

That's not the reason I started watching because I didn't know she was in it.

Anyway got to give it time. (And they shop in Lidl's.)

Jesus wept. What on earth was this meant to be, apart from a great mess? No structure, no plot, no well-timed comedy. It makes My Family look like Fawlty Towers. The BBC just sinks lower. Utter garbage. 30 minutes of my life I won't get back. Even Karen Taylor's baps did not save it. A five star wanky show.

This was so bad I can't believe those involved agreed to be in it! I don't think Pauline McLynn has been getting much work lately but Jason Byrne, what were you thinking? I've been waiting for this for weeks. I bloody give up!

Not being biased but it was very hit and miss. Some crap stuff but some really good.

Karen Taylor was really good. All she needs is the right material.

Pauline does love the physical stuff doesn't she.

The BBC keep sweating it to find another studio sitcom - considering Miranda and Mrs. Brown's Boys have been successful - that's literally the one thought behind their thinking.......that's like because I had sex with an attractive woman once, that all attractive women are going to now sleep with me - they won't, I got very lucky....

I'm just a bit surprised that this is what gets commissioned, I'm afraid I couldn't see anything funny in it, the comedy felt very 'general' for want of a better word. All a bit overdone, like the oxtail.

I only recognised Pauline McLynn and Michael Smiley from Spaced in the cast. They're too good for this IMO

I turned on to see Dermot Crowley doing a bog Oirish accent while the Byrne bloke who isn't Ed was ridiculed by his family as he attempted to shoulder barge a lavatory door. I switched stations.

Should I have given it more of a chance?

Is this Luther: the Sitcom?

Oh yeah and....

CHEAPEST.........LOOKING........END............CREDITS......EVER!!!!!!

What are you talking about? The end credits are just perfect.

You get to see exactly what happened in the previous 30 minutes, you don't miss a single joke and it only uses up 10 seconds of your life.

Just realised Jason Byrne wrote this. I've seen him twice doing stand-up in Edinburgh and he had the audience in raptures both times. He's a gifted comedian but this was awful. I think it's his first attempt at writing a sitcom and it'll surely be his last. Unless of course they've saved the funny episodes for later in the series!?!
It's freaky to think that someone with a lot of power at the BBC read this script and said "Yes! It's hilarious. Let's make it!"

It is ironic, but this sounds so awful that I want to see it. Once. The blurb for it sounds as if they want to produce a UK version of standard American fare, such as The King Of Queens, or Everybody Loves Raymond.

I remember now that I heard a very funny interview about this, with Pauline McLynn, probably on Loose Ends. Funnier than the sitcom, apparently.

Am I just blinkered or were Karen Taylor's bits the funniest?

(Not a euphemism.)