Sitcom recommendations Page 8

Pulling

Great show, nice to see strong female characters.

Phoenix Nights?

All Seinfeld fans, aight, I get it, will give it another go :D Just not in the mood for an American sitcom now. :P

Quote: Mutley @ August 18 2013, 12:52 AM BST

Can I suggest 'Look Around You'?

Yeah I had watched a few episodes and some parts are brilliant, but when it isn't it drags like hell and bores the flip out of me.

@Ben, I haven't watched all of 'Allo 'Allo!, but just as it happens, I just resumed watching it again! Well coincimental. Pirate

Quote: james bream @ August 24 2013, 9:13 PM BST

Pulling

Great show, nice to see strong female characters.

No laugh track? But thanks, will do - I love good sitcoms with funny women (30 Rock, and meaning to watch Psychobitches, but unfortunately don't have Sky subscription :( )

And re: Pheonix Night, I don't know if that's the kind of recommendation I'm looking for - it isn't silly at all, neither does it have laugh track. But I have just managed to watch a couple of episodes (I have it with me now), and I thought it was alright. Not in a mood for that now.

Have you tried You Rang, M'Lord??

What about the first series of Green Wing? No real storyline there, but plenty of diferent types of humour going on, most of it somewhere on the silliness scale. Also probably two of the finest ever comedy performances - from Mark Heap and Michelle Gomez.

Quote: G180e @ September 2 2013, 10:04 AM BST

Have you tried You Rang, M'Lord??

Nope, looks interesting though!

@Rupe, I've seen both series :) And I agree, I also loved Mangan in it tbh - "Who's the daddy? The Ginger Daddy?" Laughing out loud Ending was kind of depressing, but also in a light hearted way - very dark but still very silly. Unique and probably one of my favourites for the same reason although I would usually not like such sitcoms.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ September 2 2013, 7:57 AM BST

All Seinfeld fans, aight, I get it, will give it another go :D Just not in the mood for an American sitcom now. :P

Be careful with what series you start with. Seinfeld is brilliant, but it takes until the third series to really take off. I was never fond of the Seinfeld stand up intros - didn't find them funny, at all!

Ha, I usually fast forward through those.

Judging by your taste and by what you're looking for, I would highly recommend you check out Police Squad! Sure it's not British, it's American, but it's brilliant! If you've seen the Naked Gun trilogy of movies, then you must watch this. It's hilarious. Also I saw you mentioned that one of the only American sitcoms you liked was Arrested Development, then you must watch this. Plus it only went on for 6 episodes, so it won't take you long to watch.

I also disliked Seinfeld's stand up bits at the beginning of the first couple of seasons. If you're going to give Seinfeld another shot, then begin from season 4. Season 3 had some funny moments from time to time, but it's not enough to really captivate you just yet. You'll love Kramer's over the top reactions and George's hilarious lines.

Quote: Edwin @ September 9 2013, 11:31 AM BST

Judging by your taste and by what you're looking for, I would highly recommend you check out Police Squad! Sure it's not British, it's American, but it's brilliant! If you've seen the Naked Gun trilogy of movies, then you must watch this. It's hilarious. Also I saw you mentioned that one of the only American sitcoms you liked was Arrested Development, then you must watch this. Plus it only went on for 6 episodes, so it won't take you long to watch.

I also disliked Seinfeld's stand up bits at the beginning of the first couple of seasons. If you're going to give Seinfeld another shot, then begin from season 4. Season 3 had some funny moments from time to time, but it's not enough to really captivate you just yet. You'll love Kramer's over the top reactions and George's hilarious lines.

My god, I love Naked Gun and can't believe never managed to look that up. That is exactly what I am looking for :D Wish it had a laugh track, but it's still great.

Hi I've just joined after losing a few hours to this great forum.

I wondered if you had considered 15 Storeys High with Sean Lock written by him and Mark Jones (or Mark Lamarr (I think!) That has the right amount of silliness with sort of mini sketches with some bizarre characters in each flat. If mentioned before, apologies!

Quote: jossy @ September 12 2013, 9:10 PM BST

Hi I've just joined after losing a few hours to this great forum.

I wondered if you had considered 15 Storeys High with Sean Lock written by him and Mark Jones (or Mark Lamarr (I think!) That has the right amount of silliness with sort of mini sketches with some bizarre characters in each flat. If mentioned before, apologies!

Yes, I had watched it way before, and it was mentioned in the thread too. That is not 'silly' but more quirky I believe. I love 15 Storeys High and still wouldn't mind a rewatch - but not exactly the kind of sitcom I'm looking for.