John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme

I noticed that apart from the 'Name John Finnemore's new sketch show competition' thread, this didn't have its own thread, which is a crime.

John Finnemore is, as I'm sure many of you will agree, BRILLIANT!!!

His sketch show is one of, if not, the cleverest things in a long time.

As surreal as Monty Python and as witty as Peter Cook.

What do you think?

I am absolutely loving this. Best thing on the radio in an age.

It's certainly top quality, but;

Quote: His Own Devices @ October 8 2012, 9:34 PM BST

As surreal as Monty Python

Not really, it's quite conventional, using one sketch after the other, each one complete with a punchline. It certainly has the occasional surreal moment, but no attempt is made to be radical. That's not to criticise it though, it's still brilliant.

Missed the first series, been listening to the new run, and I've enjoyed it. Though as has been mentioned, saying it's 'as surreal as Monty Python' is a bit off. At least not the episodes I've heard.

Very good writing and ideas but I never found myself laughing. Reminds me of Mitchell & Webb, I love their ideas but it's not laugh out loud stuff.

His sketches are consistently funny and clever (without being pretentious). He is also a very accomplished performer.

OK maybe the Monty Python comment was a slight exaggeration, but it's still, in the words of Arthur Shappey, Brilliant!

But if he comes in here, trying to post sketches on our Critique forum.
Then I'll be the first to tell him that they are too long.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 11 2012, 10:08 PM BST

But if he comes in here, trying to post sketches on our Critique forum.
Then I'll be the first to tell him that they are too long.

It makes you wonder about the advice which gets dished out all the time, you know the sort, "Keep it short, no more than 3 pages and preferably less than 1 word." Yet here's a successful show with sketches up to about 10 minutes long. And how often did you hear "don't bother submitting a sitcom about students in a house" just before Fresh Meat got commissioned?

Quote: Nogget @ October 12 2012, 7:04 AM BST

It makes you wonder about the advice which gets dished out all the time.

- Don't make it just a man doing a monologue

- The 'diary format' is hackneyed

- Don't write about trying to write

Hello Ed Reardon's Week

Quote: Jinky @ October 12 2012, 1:08 PM BST

- Don't make it just a man doing a monologue

- The 'diary format' is hackneyed

- Don't write about trying to write

Hello Ed Reardon's Week

It just goes to show there are no rules, just funny or not funny.

Just catching up with this now - very strong material and my favourite radio sketch show for a long long time. How one person can write a whole series this strong is beyond me!

Aside from the length thing (which you can break if you are brilliant and it is your own show), all people trying to break into sketch writing should listen to this IMO.

I have to say - for me one or two of the sketches did feel like a bit of pruning would have made them sharper.

Ok, that said, what do I know? It was generally brilliant, packed full of comic gems. I found it really refreshing Finnemore didn't feel the need to adhere to an underlying theme - every sketch felt like it could go anywhere.

Couldn't get the 'Captain Dinosaur' song out of my head for days. :)

New series started today, and as usual it was, dare I say, brilliant. I especially loved the radio drama parody at the end.

Quote: His Own Devices @ September 3 2013, 8:41 PM BST

New series started today, and as usual it was, dare I say, brilliant. I especially loved the radio drama parody at the end.

I found that quite trying, to be honest - well done, but took a very long time to dissect a pretty easy target. Wasn't mad on the song either, but then I pretty much never am. The rest of it, pretty much brilliant as usual from the mighty Finnemore pen. :)