Catherine Tate: Laughing At The Noughties

Not sure where to put this and didn't find a thread for it.

Did any of you catch this? It's been burning a hole on my hard drive for a while so tonight I sat down and watched it. I guess it's always difficult to look at an entire decade and I thought the previous Jennifer Saunders: Laughing At The Nineties went a bit too fast at times, but I really liked this. The interviews were really well done and it was refreshing to see such candid opinions. I did think some of the guests were being a bit too safe with their opinions, but overall Catherine Tate was a delight as a host. What do you lot think?

It wasn't too bad, but as you hint at with your observation that it felt people were holding back a bit, it's really too soon to have made such a programme. You need a good few more years for scores behind the scenes to be settled, for shows to disappear from the public's mind so that the real best emerge, and for the influences to begin to be felt in new commissions.

Quote: Aaron @ August 26 2013, 9:30 PM BST

It wasn't too bad, but as you hint at with your observation that it felt people were holding back a bit, it's really too soon to have made such a programme. You need a good few more years for scores behind the scenes to be settled, for shows to disappear from the public's mind so that the real best emerge, and for the influences to begin to be felt in new commissions.

I agree, I think doing Laughing at the Eighties would have been far wiser. At times I got the sense from some of them that they couldn't adequately reflect because they were still riding the rollercoaster. I really did think that Alan Carr was holding a lot of his opinions back, I really do, I think he wanted to go off on this whole celebrity culture nonsense that's gripped the world. But, as you say, it's too soon so a lot of these individuals are still either tied to contracts or are still popular enough so that they have to be careful. That being said though I really liked Catherine Tate as the host, I found her really engaging with the guests in a way Jenn Saunders didn't. I love Saunders but it came down to at times just her talking and talking and the guests smiling and nodding.

Quote: BenS @ August 27 2013, 4:39 AM BST

I agree, I think doing Laughing at the Eighties would have been far wiser.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/catherine_tate_laughing_at_00s/see_also/

ooo *thumbs up*