What does stand-up comedy stand up for?

This blog puts the boot into stand-ups on the grounds that the British comedy industry has forgotten it can be more than a spectator sport in which narcissistic performers use their talent to reflect on nothing but themselves: http://thewritertype.blogspot.co.uk

Hello Paul. Thank you for sharing your blog post here. I certainly found it a very interesting read.

As a regular performer of stand up (albeit of the musical persuasion) and audience member, I see and participate in a lot of live circuit comedy. I think this gives me a fairly good perspective on what is on offer currently. I'm fairly limited to the North of England in my viewings, so can't speak beyond that, and I only spend 2 days at this year's Fringe.

While I enjoy the read, I can't help but disagree with the general inference on the content of stand up that is out there at the moment. Aside from the argument that a standup is an entertainer in a professional field whose sole responsibility to the audience is to make them laugh, I just think you're missing what is there.

I know plenty of acts, accross the levels from brand new to headliner, whose sets contain political themes. These might not be party politics and political satire (though there is still a fair bit of that), but certainly wider social and moral themes. I don't think you could see many lineups up here where that wasn't at least a small factor. Excluding the Jongleurs/Hyena Club/Big Weekend sort of nights, obviously. I don't think you'll find a disproportionately low percentage of 'gag men' to 'political' comics compared to the 80s. But it's certainly reflected much differently when you widen the scope to TV and stadium acts- there is really not a great deal of depth due to public taste and execs etc (but again, it's still there if you look).

There are a tonne of people out there using their comedy to talk about big issues. If I could be bothered I would go through my FB friends and do a tally.

Unless of course I'm looking at the circuit through rose-tinted specs, of course. Our experiences have a tendency of defining our opinions.

I'm sorry if that's full of typos. My eyes are too tired to read and check it isn't all nonsense.

This Thursday at 14:30, there's a one-hour free gig outside the Russian Consulate in Edinburgh in protest at the Russian attitude towards LGBT issues.

It features Mark Thomas, Stephen K Amos, Susan Calman, Zoe Lyons, Joe Lycett, Dana Alexander and Chris Coltrane.

Just one example - I'll give you Mark Steel as another - of comedians doing their bit socially and politically for little or no personal reward.

While I can see where the OP's blog is coming from (the Michael McIntyre school of self-important stand up), there's way too broad a brush being applied IMO.