Carry On At Your Convenience

This is the tale of industrial strife at WC Boggs' Lavatory factory. Vic Spanner is the union representative who calls a strike at the drop of a hat; eventually everyone has to get fed up with him. This is also the ideal opportunity for lots of lavatorial jokes.

I think this is a great and funny film. Great cast once again.

Anyone else like this film?

Yes, interesting to have a Union-bashing film. I remember a scene at the start where Sid James slaps Joan Sims on the arse and she merely looks up, smiles and says "saucy!". That pretty much encapsulates the general, narrow view of the entire Carry On oeuvre.

This film is about as much fun as a colonoscopy, but in their heyday the Carry Ons had a certain charm.

Love it, one of the best Carry On films there is.

Yes I love it too, has to be one of the best Carry On films in my opinion.

One of my favourites too.

I think it's a load of Crap(per).

(I don't really)

Never fails to make me smile, I thought looking at it now, it was strange the Carry Ons seeing as it was real end of the pier humour, and pretty much the unpretentious favour of the working classes, who lapped up the movies at the cinema. But it really does bash the unions in it. Having said that, I do think it's sharp, witty, and lovingly bawdy. Unlike a lot of the later ones it fills its time very well, and I like Joan and Sid's very flirtatious but just stopping short of adultery scene. Quite sweet in a strange way.

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th August 2013, 5:39 AM BST

I remember a scene at the start where Sid James slaps Joan Sims on the arse and she merely looks up, smiles and says "saucy!". That pretty much encapsulates the general, narrow view of the entire Carry On oeuvre.

That shallowness was its strength, and is mainly why we love the Carry Ons so much now. PC Stalinism has given the Carry Ons a massive boost in posterity.

A slight grumble with the BCG write up for AYC. My opinion only, but pretty sure it didn't alienate its blue collar audience! On The Buses and Rag Trade had long portrayed 'the workers' as work shy and the shop stewards as skive happy trouble makers. Both were stonkingly popular shows. As was the film IAJ which inspired this loose copy.

The film bombed because it was badly made, with one of the weakest second halves I've ever seen (especially against such a good, if scatty, first half). I'd have walked out the cinema too. They went to film with only half a script and for some reason couldn't write up the rest on the job, which is pretty unforgivable for experienced scriptwriters. Think what Galton & Simpson would have made of it!

I know it's farcical but industrial relations were really like that in the 70s.

Apart from Columbus, I love all Carry On films. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th October 2014, 4:47 PM BST

Apart from Columbus, I love all Carry On films. :D

Ditto - although I feel that the seventies ones were more hit and miss.

Not sure whether it is true though.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th October 2014, 5:02 PM BST

Ditto - although I feel that the seventies ones were more hit and miss.

Not sure whether it is true though.

There's always a gem in there somewhere. On quick reflection I think Camping is my fave - so many great scenarios, and always look for the famous continuity gaff involving Hattie's headwear/not.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th October 2014, 5:09 PM BST

There's always a gem in there somewhere. On quick reflection I think Camping is my fave - so many great scenarios, and always look for the famous continuity gaff involving Hattie's headwear/not.

I have that one in my mind too but am wary of saying "favourite" because I don't have a clear picture of each individual film. Someone, I think, said that it wasn't one of the best. The memory can be selective. It's that OFAH thing of picking out the chandelier episode when it was average apart from that final stand out gag. But I'm sure "Convenience" was one of the better Carry On films from their second decade. The only one I saw in the cinema on release was "Up The Jungle" and it probably wasn't so good, not that I would have understood any of it then. It would be nice to have a description of all of them on the Comedy Guide.

Well I like 'cos all the regulars are in it, along with other great comedy actors.