I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,265

Beyond 'utter lunancy', words fail me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23697138

Do you ever ponder about the return of the death penalty?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23703757

Mainly I don't agree with taking a life but these people dumbfound me and you do think the world would be better without them.

They wouldnt have got the death sentence anyway.

I do wonder if less benefits would disensentivize some people from having kids.

Quote: sootyj @ August 14 2013, 11:56 PM BST

They wouldnt have got the death sentence anyway.

I do wonder if less benefits would disensentivize some people from having kids.

Come on Sooty, there is no link between benefits and this kind of thing. If they did this, (innocent until proven otherwise) then they are sick and twisted individuals. Nothing to do with a few benefits.

On another note, what on earth is happening in Egypt? :(

Quote: Jennie @ August 15 2013, 1:04 PM BST

Come on Sooty, there is no link between benefits and this kind of thing. If they did this, (innocent until proven otherwise) then they are sick and twisted individuals. Nothing to do with a few benefits.

Only because no one would get funding for a study.

Only because no one would get funding for a study.

You asked about Egypt. The situation is obviously not ideal. Obama, though, has several options and, for my money, is the best President since JFK/LBJ or perhaps Eisenhower, even given all the usual faults of leaders. What the world won't get from him is anything excessively doctrinaire. Thank the Lord then it isn't a Bush.

We might as well deal with Gibralter and the Falklands here too. Call it pre-emptive. For what it's worth, I think Cameron and Hague have so far done the right thing. That is the Owen thing, c. 1978, then vis a vis the Falklands. Not that they inspire confidence. It is always a total lottery with them although, in fairness, Hague may be improving in his role. The Spaniards must be crackers to motivate all the separatists in the cause of Gibralter. Their only possible route of any sense is to UN and that's very questionable. But I'd like to see the tax haven status ended. The longer the Government keeps to it, the more it's likely to lose.

Actually, the same applies to the Falklands. To turn a very well known economic phrase around a little, no self-determination without taxation. With that sorted, not that it ever will be, I don't think Madam Corned Beef has a case. She is losing ground in the polls at any rate and there are rumours about illness. She's there, though, for a while and, it appears, is now getting military help from Spain. A bit odd seeing that she is centre-left but one sees the connection. Given the political similarities between the Spanish and British Governments, I think that some of the current kerfuffle is manufactured. Maybe they didn't get the tax haven stuff fully agreed in all their elitist conferences. Or it could be that they both hope to achieve electoral success through some heralded but pre-engineered compromise. It looks like 1982 again. A pity!

Cheers!

A very important national priority this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23719207

Proves we're fully on the road to recovery!

Chinese Zoo Tried to Pass Off Dog As Lion

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/china-zoo-lion-dog-tibetan-mastiff-photo.html

What cuddly fella all the same.

That dog is more awesome than any mangy lion.

Quite cute.

I might go to a zoo of animals dressed as other animals.
Although that's a bit animal abusey now I think about it.

Maybe not then.

Quote: youngian @ August 16 2013, 11:50 AM BST

Chinese Zoo Tried to Pass Off Dog As Lion

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/china-zoo-lion-dog-tibetan-mastiff-photo.html

What cuddly fella all the same.

Is it a shih tzu?

...that joke doesn't really work written down...

But you get the gist

Quote: zooo @ August 16 2013, 12:39 PM BST

Quite cute.

I might go to a zoo dressed as other animals.
Although that's a bit animal abusey now I think about it.

Maybe not then.

I think hanging around the petting zoo dressed as a llama is more needy than anything

Quote: lofthouse @ August 16 2013, 5:39 PM BST

What's a shih tzu?

One without any penguins.

Acknowledgments to ISIHAC.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 14 2013, 11:38 PM BST

Do you ever ponder about the return of the death penalty?

God no. I'd leave the country on the next plane.

Juries get it right..most of the time. But what if they got it wrong?