Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 22

Great end to a good series.

Again, it wasn't exactly hilarious ... Just very enjoyable and entertaining. The drunken seance was a hoot.

I still think Arthur is being... reigned in a bit. He needs to be the main focus of the show and yet he kinda feels just like just one of a set of characters.

More Arthur and more laughs in the next series please!

I know some people say he used to overuse the malapropisms in the past, but now he's not doing nearly enough. They often make me laugh till I cry. But he's hardly had any this series. :(

Anyway, I really liked this episode. I'll miss it now.

Quote: zooo @ August 13 2013, 8:48 PM BST

He's quite sweet. I find it believable.
Not everyone is all about looks and nothing else, y'know!

It's not only his looks. But he's not exactly a barrel of laughs either or extra witty/intelligent or anything.

He's just a nice, polite bloke. And she clearly doesn't get out of the cafe much. ;)

Quote: zooo @ August 13 2013, 8:56 PM BST

I know some people say he used to overuse the malapropisms in the past, but now he's not doing nearly enough. They often make me laugh till I cry. But he's hardly had any this series. :(

Agree 100%

Quote: lofthouse @ August 6 2013, 8:22 PM BST

Shades of The Blood Donor this week?

Hospitals n that ...

The bit where Arthur was reading from a women's magazine was very Hancockian - and all the better for it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 10 2013, 9:59 AM BST

It was until Michael killed it with over explanation. That's the trouble with this show, both this and the original radio version, the exposition is way too evident, making it like treacle to get through.

Sorry about some late replies to points on this thread - I was away a lot last week. I actually commented to my partner in this week's episode how a good gag was killed by over-explanation.

'My mother was a medium'

'You always said she was a big woman'

Brilliant joke, immediately smothered by too much explanation.

The last two episodes were really good, particularly the last one. This has been a very uneven series but at its best I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Michael character didn't come back. His story arc seems to have come to a natural end and Rory Kinnear is very in-demand right now.

From my (fairly limited) knowledge of the radio series it's not unusual for the format to change a bit between series.

Quote: Ian Fryer @ August 13 2013, 9:34 PM BST

'My mother was a medium'

There was a very similar joke in OFAH.

Quote: Ian Fryer @ August 13 2013, 9:34 PM BST

It wouldn't surprise me if the Michael character didn't come back. His story arc seems to have come to a natural end and Rory Kinnear is very in-demand right now.

From my (fairly limited) knowledge of the radio series it's not unusual for the format to change a bit between series.

Do you think they'll replace him with another young companion (maybe a woman this time) like Catweazle had different masters/friends in the two series? Or will they change the concept?

He didn't get on the bloody train !

Sod off Michael.

Oh God, I didn't laugh a bit this episode. And again as Ian said, killed any potential of a joke with over explanation. And it slightly irritates me when the characters themselves laugh at some jokes, that's such a turn off.

I hope Michael sods off for good and we get just Arthur next series. Linehan, if you're reading this, please please cut all the warm bullshit and stick to your strengths. Like the ER montage/Arthur as Dr. Two bits which were absolutely hilarious.

Lovely last episode; warm and funny. A show that really settled into itself as it went along.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last two eps - laughed a lot, and the pathos really worked for me, too. It's a pity that so many will have given up long before, because of clumsy gags and unearnt Clinton Cards sentiment in earlier episodes.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 13 2013, 9:42 PM BST

Catweazle

Yes!!

The next series should have the same plot as Catweazle.

'Cat Arthur Strong' would be slightly less jarring than comparing the radio shows to this current rubbish.

Ok so it's just me then. People generally felt the episode was good? Surprised, but anyways.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ August 14 2013, 4:03 PM BST

Ok so it's just me then. People generally felt the episode was good?

No...but it wasn't worse than the rest imo. I hope the second series will be better because I like the Arthur character.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ August 14 2013, 4:03 PM BST

Ok so it's just me then. People generally felt the episode was good? Surprised, but anyways.

Some people aren't quite sure what to say.