Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa Page 6

I bought Heat magazine today, just for the Partridge Interview. Quality stuff.

I also love that the Norwich tourist people are doing walking tours entitled "Alan's Norwich".

Went to see this earlier and enjoyed it. Alan and his world translated to the big screen pretty well and, although not packed full of laughs, had some funny moments.

Saw this last night, first night.

Three stars, I reckon. Started a bit slow but got going. Well-structured, I thought, too.

4/5

Very very funny and heart warningly honest to the character. Go and support this British comedy icon by buying a ticket you ruddy bastards!

Must see it this weekend.

Alpha Papa tops the UK box office - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23672740

Really well paced, the opening is slow but that just helps to set the scene and makes you appreciate the knockabout stuff towards the end.

You don't need to know your Partridge to get the gags, they work on their own.

Colm Meaney is a hugely underused comic actor IMO.

Quote: AndyGilder @ August 13 2013, 1:21 PM BST

Really well paced, the opening is slow but that just helps to set the scene and makes you appreciate the knockabout stuff towards the end.

You don't need to know your Partridge to get the gags, they work on their own.

I agree about Meaney, he was solid and much better choice than getting contrived cameos from Ben Stiller or someone similar. Loved the other straight faced turns from Darren Boyd, Sean Pertwee and Anna Maxwell Martin. Otherwise it was the usual crew; Felicity Montagu, Phil Cornwall etc.

Thought the whole film was a joy and was Coogan's best outing since the first I'm Alan Partridge series. Best thing to come out of Norfolk since Nelson- or Trisha.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 12 2013, 5:48 PM BST

Alpha Papa tops the UK box office - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23672740

Not a good week for the $240m Lone Ranger UK marketing team. But a rare victory for sanity. "We're not going sit in silence."

Saw this on Saturday (then went to see it again on Sunday). Massive Alan fan. Loved it.

I think it may be my third favourite Alan outing (after the book and I'm Alan Partridge). I'm from Norwich, so I always get an extra kick out of all the local references. I might even go on the official 'Alan's Norwich' walking tour.

Quote: AndyGilder @ August 13 2013, 1:21 PM BST

Yep, he's great at dead pan stuff. He was the perfect pick for Alpha Papa. I loved him in The Van too.

This was really very funny indeed. Back of the net.

Am I the only one that emerged slightly disappointed? It was fine, but I thought the idea was a little stretched out over 90 minutes. I was surprised to find out it wasn't a two-hour long film when I came out of the cinema, really felt like it to me.

I'm a big Alan fan, but somehow this didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. That said, it is not a shit film. I think I'm just comparing it to earlier Alan stuff.

Quote: sglen @ August 19 2013, 3:49 PM BST

Am I the only one that emerged slightly disappointed? It was fine, but I thought the idea was a little stretched out over 90 minutes. I was surprised to find out it wasn't a two-hour long film when I came out of the cinema, really felt like it to me.

I'm a big Alan fan, but somehow this didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. That said, it is not a shit film. I think I'm just comparing it to earlier Alan stuff.

It was made to please both seasoned Partridge fans and general comedy fans alike. I think anyone expecting a bit of a vintage in joke fest were going to come out a bit underwhelmed. I thought the concept was spread a bit thin but I'm guessing the budget didn't allow for many locations etc so they worked with what they had and did an excellent job.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 20 2013, 7:53 PM BST

It was made to please both seasoned Partridge fans and general comedy fans alike. I think anyone expecting a bit of a vintage in joke fest were going to come out a bit underwhelmed. I thought the concept was spread a bit thin but I'm guessing the budget didn't allow for many locations etc so they worked with what they had and did an excellent job.

No I wasn't really looking for in-jokes, I just thought it was a bit slow compared with former Alan things, which I found to be well-paced.

Looks like it's just me, though :) I felt the same way about The World's End so I might just be getting nastier as I age.