Stand up 'scripts'

It's Super Basic Question Time!

I'm currently preparing for my first 5 min set. I've written lots of bits and bobs that I find funny and having trawled the internet for stand up rules and advice (all of which basically boils down to: there are no rules, be yourself and just go out and DO IT ALREADY) there's one bit of info I'm unable to find, namely:

What does a stand up script actually look like?

Do people just write pages of text and memorise it? Do they commit their act to cards and remember it that way? I wonder if some never even write their material down, they just rehearse and rehearse inside their head.

I've written scripts for short films, sketches and plays but never for stand up, so I am wondering how best to get all material into a coherent form so I could start learning it. Any advice based on personal experience would be welcome.

If it helps, my 5 mins are not a string of random gags, they are based around a single theme and are roughly broken into an introduction about myself, a story from my childhood and how my adult life compares to my childhood existence.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Kay writes his topics such as childhood, television and then highlights the paragraphs. He then uses a card with the topic headers on and highlights them too. I've just started writing a few stand up notes and am in the process of trying to link them together and have found writing the script or notes in a way that is easiest for yourself.

I've been going a good couple of years, I write out my jokes, highlighting, bolding and underlining the punchlines (and I colour code the punchlines on how big the hit should be). I then turn this all into a script with segue's etc. I then re-draft this several times, looking for all the kickers and callbacks I can add in.

Hope that helps

whats a kicker?

When writing the jokes initially don't edit just write, then you can come back to it later and edit the jokes down getting rid of the fluff so that you get from the set up to the punch-line as efficiently as possible without compromising the information required for the joke to work.

In terms of scripting, it really depends on your style. For a one-liner comic there isn't usually a running theme but, it is nice to try and link jokes so that it isn't too disjointed but, for a comic that tells stories they may have a couple of themes so perhaps moving from talking about the wife to the kids. That way you get a nice arc although it doesn't want to seem forced. You've pretty much said it yourself 'get out there and start doing it' because that's the only true barometer as to whether something is working or not from there you will find out pretty quickly how to structure your set. On the night just have a few prompts beforehand and if you can resist it try not to write anything down, one of the best bits of advice I got was to not write anything on your hand because you'll be tempted to look at even if you don't need it, be in the moment. If you forget your material on the night let that be the 'moment.'

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your question but, I hope the above helps. All the best,

Jason.

If its your first gig, write your jokes down, including any funny observations.

Then make sure you've structured them as actual jokes.

I'd really concentrate on speaking rather than writing. It's fine to make notes, but practicing in front of the mirror or wherever you can will help you to remember them and will also quickly weed out the 'seemed like a good idea on paper' gags that don't work out loud.

I'd also record yourself as soon as you can and listen back as this will help you to recognise where there is any fluff that can be cut out.

I'm new to the stand-up thing, but did a comedy course, which really helped me to put a decent 10 minutes together and these are all things that helped.

If you're doing anything which isn't one liners I'd recommend writing it down long form. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to remember once you have the memory or writing it out.

Also if you go back an hour later and read it, you have a better idea if its actually funny.

Quote: Natalie Of Wicks @ August 17 2013, 3:16 PM BST

If you're doing anything which isn't one liners I'd recommend writing it down long form. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to remember once you have the memory or writing it out.

This is a very good tip, there's something about writing out every single word which helps to hardwire it into your brain, even for one-liners.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 17 2013, 4:24 PM BST

This is a very good tip, there's something about writing out every single word which helps to hardwire it into your brain, even for one-liners.

Seconded (or thirded). I never used to write the routine down, just the mental map i.e. keywords. Jack Dee no less claims he doesn't methodically write every word cos it kills the joke. Anyway a while back someone suggested I try doing so to see if it made a difference, and I have to say it's really helped cos:
1. The simple act of writing helps fix it more clearly in your head, like revising at exam time.
2. When the nerves kick in on stage I can often 'see' the line on the page as opposed to thinking, 'Oh yeah I think it's the bit about masturbation / priests / Melanie C next innit?' This is not very useful cos all my jokes are about masturbation / priests / Melanie C.
3. If an opportunity crops up unexpectedly you have something ready and polished you can go over, as opposed to digging stuff out and piecing it together at the last minute.
4. Later on it's still understandable! I have really weird writing / shorthand and sometimes I look back over my notes and half the effort is working out what the f**k it means.
5. ...Also helps you locate any dead wood phrases you can get rid of.
6. ...And a printed page makes you be more objective about your writing than hand-written scribbling.
There you go, just my opinion and I know everyone does it his / her / its own way. But these days I always write the number out in full.