Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 18

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 3 2013, 6:38 PM BST

And yet it got a second series.

Well, they said it was getting one.

http://www.thecustardtv.com/2013/07/count-arthur-strong-series-2-confirmed.html

But then after low ratings and being moved to another day who knows? Apparently the second series will have more laughs so a big change there.

Wow, an increase of 0.04 million viewers from the previous episode.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ August 5 2013, 9:05 AM BST

Wow, an increase of 0.04 million viewers from the previous episode.

Which given it's an increase over a night when there was just a tiny hint of national news, is hardly something to boast of.

My sitcoms harder than yours

Enjoying it yet not quite sure why.

Preview of tonight's episode from The Guardian.

Populated by doddering characters and stylistically channelling the old-school British sitcom, Steve Delaney and Graham Linehan's comedy isn't the most exciting prospect. That's a shame, because it's very funny. This penultimate episode, in which Arthur inadvertently infiltrates the staff of a hospital where Michael (Rory Kinnear) is being treated, climaxes in an incredibly artful punchline pile-up. In great sitcom tradition, there's emotional resonance here that goes beyond farce, with nods to loss and loneliness scattered throughout. Rachel Aroesti

Quote: lofthouse @ July 30 2013, 11:40 PM BST

People on here likened last weeks episode to HHH's The Bowmans

This weeks is obviously 'The Lift' ?

Shades of The Blood Donor this week?

Hospitals n that ...

"Eeeeennyaanyaaadyogctttoorrrrrr!!"

Laughing out loud

First it's silly as hell...and then this emotional ending. I don't know what to make of that show.

Hmm. It is rather odd... I enjoy it on the whole though.

Not all that funny again this week, but it's good lighthearted fun.

I really did love tonight's episode but what a shame about Katya. So we'll never see her again, 1 character down. Good Move.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ August 2 2013, 9:06 PM BST

Alright, fair enough. Still no idea how Father Ted characters are believable though, far from it. And that's not a con - I like that they are over the top caricatures, which is what made the show a whole lot funnier.

Believable within the context of reality created by the show. You see Dougal, you don't see Ardal O'Hanlon. By contrast, do you see Rory Kinner or Michael Baker in this series?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 3 2013, 6:38 PM BST

And yet it got a second series.

The second series was commissioned months ago, long before the first episode was broadcast.

Really good episode, that.

Quote: G180e @ July 31 2013, 12:40 PM BST

The ratings for Episode 4: 0.73 million viewers (3.7% audience share). I said this all along that the figures would drop because they have moved it to a different night. Shame on you BBC Two!

Yes. 0.73 million. And the week before?

0.69 million viewers (3.1% audience share)

So that's a rise. Minute, but a rise.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 22 2013, 9:15 PM BST

Exactly.
By physically dividing the two story lines this week they made even more apparent what should by now be bleedin' obvious.
Count Arthur Strong is a funny character.
The Rory Kinnear story is weak - and totally redundant.

Imagine taking an episode of Fawlty Towers, chucking away half the material so you could cut away to the bitter-sweet story of Manuel's brother trying to trace his long lost uncle.
I really can't think what possessed them.
The fact that huge chunks of the 'radio play' stuff was lifted from a previous CASRS - and worked perfectly well on TV - shows that they really didn't need to tinker with this.
One can only hope that Series 2 may learn the lesson.
But I shan't hold my breath.

HEAR HEAR !!!
Has anyone started a petition?

Fascinated to see everyone hated last week's (the riot). I thought it was by quite a way stronger than the three preceding it - at least for the first half. All characters forced into the same situation, with Arthur at the centre, rather than Michael as the protagonist and Arthur merely reacting to events. Then a little over half way through it all went a bit weird with the music and the wife stuff.

And this week's - some hilarious scenes around the anaesthetic, but Christ, what an awful ending. Pathos, yes, but we could do with some comic relief too.