Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 17

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ July 30 2013, 11:01 PM BST

And aren't editors and producers supposed to be able to tell bad from good, broadcast the good and quietly can the bad? Isn't the idea of pilots that you work through the issues in the format and production so that when you make the actual series, it's better? The BBC have now produced three ratings disasters of sitcoms (Heading Out, Wright Way, Strong) which had disastrous first episodes after which it may, or may not, have improved but the audience had already left the building. Might it be worth BBC execs asking themselves what they need to do to make successful programmes?

Er, yeah. That's their job. I don't think the original 'Office' pilot, directed by Ash Atalla, was ever screened on TV. They used it to show execs and focus groups. (Then Gervais/Merchant convinced them to let them direct the series.) So pilots are not always broadcast.

You can understand them making a CAS version for TV if it has a large enough loyal fan base from radio, but it still has to appeal to a new audience. And as you said, it's a bit of a ratings disaster.

People on here likened last weeks episode to HHH's The Bowmans

This weeks is obviously 'The Lift' ?

Quote: bob4apples @ July 30 2013, 11:34 PM BST

You can understand them making a CAS version for TV if it has a large enough loyal fan base from radio, but it still has to appeal to a new audience. And as you said, it's a bit of a ratings disaster.

But what they've made is insufficiently like the radio series to be a sure-fire hit with those that liked it on Radio 4, while being sufficiently like the radio series to make it unlikely that the people that didn't like will be converted. That's a bit of a bad place to be.

If they ditched the word "Count" of the title I'm sure that would attract more viewers. Just sounds rude, really. (Which can be a good thing, but perhaps not in titles?)

Quote: lofthouse @ July 30 2013, 11:40 PM BST

People on here likened last weeks episode to HHH's The Bowmans

This weeks is obviously 'The Lift' ?

Crikey, I hadn't thought of that - dead right!

I was disappointed in this week's episode. I sort of feel Count Arthur's stage act should remain shrouded in mystery. There was some good stuff in there, such as Eggy's sudden, dramatic confession about the breakdown of his marriage, but it looked like it was parachuted in from another, better story.

The ratings for Episode 4: 0.73 million viewers (3.7% audience share). I said this all along that the figures would drop because they have moved it to a different night. Shame on you BBC Two!

Quote: G180e @ July 31 2013, 12:40 PM BST

The ratings for Episode 4: 0.73 million viewers (3.7% audience share). I said this all along that the figures would drop because they have moved it to a different night. Shame on you BBC Two!

The second series, which I suspect will mysteriously find itself delayed, and delayed, and delayed, will be lucky to get the post-Newsnight graveyard slot.

At least with Heading Out and Wright Way the BBC's delusion that the name of the writer is more important than being funny didn't cause them to immediately sign up for more episodes. Still, I guess if Linehan wants to continue torching his reputation by writing crap like this, it's his reputation to torch. I'd have thought he would have been keen to move on and try something less doomed, but obviously he's a glutton for punishment.

So the overnights are not amazing (to say the leaast), but how's it been doing on the final ratings? I'm certainly yet to watch an episode live, and can't see that changing (I virtually never have the telly on before 9pm).

Last night's episode still had me laughing in plenty of places, but I agree it was easily the weakest episode to date, particularly noticeable after last week's, which was easily the best!

Why was Linehan brought in? Was there an existing relationship between him and Delaney, or did the BBC just parachute in a big name because they thought it would be safer*?

*not actually safer

They've been working together on the Count for ages, I think.

I consider myself to be a world authority on CAS radio show Series 7.

Not for any other reason than that the CD has been stuck in my car stereo for about twelve months now!

This week's episode was really dire. What on earth was Linehan thinking? The only fine part was Arthur's act (i.e. the whole montage thing).
I really don't know what to think of this now - has been making steady progress upwards and then this really dire episode comes along and ruins it.

Linehan should seriously stop stuffing in sentiment etc. in this, it's just not working. Why can't he just stick to his strengths and make an out and out silly comedy? I cringe when I hear about all the "pushy father" bits from Michael and this week, to top off, Eggy's wife bit.

Quote: bob4apples @ July 30 2013, 11:05 PM BST

If you actually read what I said, I didn't say the IT Crowd characters were not believable, I said I watched it and didn't like it. Yes, there are people that didn't.

Alright, fair enough. Still no idea how Father Ted characters are believable though, far from it. And that's not a con - I like that they are over the top caricatures, which is what made the show a whole lot funnier.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ August 2 2013, 9:06 PM BST

Alright, fair enough. Still no idea how Father Ted characters are believable though, far from it. And that's not a con - I like that they are over the top caricatures, which is what made the show a whole lot funnier.

I'm not saying they are 'believable' in the conventional sense, more as comedy characters. A reflection of real people (or with combined elements of several) whose particular traits have been exaggerated. An exact duplicate of a real person or real life would be too boring and inane.

My father was taught by the infamous Christian Brothers in Ireland and some of the caricatures in Ted, though not as extreme, were pretty accurate (mainly the stupidity, naivety and alcoholism, not the nasty stuff they were guilty of).

I love CAS the radio show. It just kills me. TV show is extremely funny.
Lol funny for real but yes it would be nice to just cut Count Arthur loose from his chain. He doesn't need a straight man. The world is his straight man.

At first I was upset because he looks too young to be playing a very old man but then I guess the word spry was invented for seniors like him. Why is everyone so obsessed with a BIG HIT? Why not be satisfied with watching a future classic?

Just watched the first episode of Badults. Was that recorded 30 years ago? That laugh track sounded like a parody of laugh tracks. How did that even make it to the pilot stage? Is there a list somewhere of the shows cancelled by the new BBC regime? Not one could be worse than Badults. Sorry about going off topic but that show is burnt into my brain. I am positive it must be at least 40 years old.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 2 2013, 9:33 PM BST

It's not a hit

And yet it got a second series.