A rant about not writing.

I would like to whinge about writing.

I really want to write, but I don't actually want to write.

I intended to write this evening. Instead I:

1. Tried to do some DIY. Failed miserably.

2. Rang my dad to try and persuade him to come round and rectify DIY diaster. He refused, primarily because he lives 200 miles away.

3. Rang best boy-who-is-a-friend, asked the same. He refused, primarily because he says I am a twat.

4. Re-arranged shoes.

5. Went for a run.

6. Played 8 rounds of Candy Crush (it's like crack cocaine)

7. Watched a documentary on serial killers.

8. Had a bath.

I am now going to bed. Without having written ANYTHING.

Why don't I want to write? I have deadlines and things. I need to get cracking.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

The evil procrastination demon has visited you.

He is a right bitch.

What you need is something even more important to do than writing, and then you will write instead.

We've all been there, happens to me a lot.

What's the deadline?

I think you're being too hard on yourself. You started a new job today, and that takes it out of you, leaves less in the tank. You have to pace yourself, and it's just as important to know when not to write and to recharge the batteries. And if you fret and feel guilty about not writing, then you're not getting the benefit of taking a break. Scheduled breaks are important too.

It's like with sports players/athletes - rest/recuperation are important too, and realistic goals/targets need to be set. Otherwise you get injured, or burn out.

In general, you come across as very productive and industrious, so cut yourself some slack occasionally. :)

Thank you all. George - that is very kind :)

Tonight I shall do my tax return.

I'll come round if you like - not to sort out your DIY failure, because I could.

No, to give you a boot up the arse.

Quote: Jennie @ July 30 2013, 3:18 PM BST

Glad if I helped. :)

Lucky you!

Quote: Jennie @ July 30 2013, 3:18 PM BST

Just be sure you don't end up like Bernard from Black books when he attempted his tax return!

Quote: Jennie @ July 29 2013, 10:20 PM BST

Why don't I want to write?

Because you have nothing you really want to say?

I've pissed away hours when it was just hackwork, but when I really wanted to say something the words flew off the page.

One of the thing that stops me from writing is seeing future problems - "this scene isn't perfect so I won't write at all" But telling myself it doesn't have to be perfect and you need to break something before you fix it seems to help..sometimes

Writing is work... who doesn't want to delay it sometimes.

Quote: blahblah @ July 31 2013, 3:15 AM BST

One of the thing that stops me from writing is seeing future problems - "this scene isn't perfect so I won't write at all" But telling myself it doesn't have to be perfect and you need to break something before you fix it seems to help..sometimes

Exactly
Don't get it right, get it writ, as someone said.
Having several projects at different stages helps, too.
Then you can switch from one to the other - giving yourself a break, but still achieving something.

Quote: Marc P @ July 31 2013, 8:43 AM BST

Writing is work... who doesn't want to delay it sometimes.

I have found a solution.

Write at work.

Sorted.

Quote: blahblah @ July 31 2013, 3:15 AM BST

This is very true. Deep down, I wonder if I can actually do it, and that stops me trying.