Father, Dear Father

It was a great show. Very underrated in my opinion. What did you think? It was on GOLD in the 1990s. It should get repeated more.

Some of it's a bit by-numbers, but there's a lot else to enjoy and Patrick Cargill's performance is always great to watch. I wish there were more sitcoms like this on now.

Yes they should have more shows like this I know but it would not work today.

Why not?

This is one of my favourites from that period. It stands apart from some others in that the situations were much more farce that built and built. The misunderstanding grew and grew, but it was always very good natured. It was definitely of its period, the girls' innocence doesn't ring true in the modern age (probably never quite did). The dialogue was often very fast and witty, and sometimes lines go by that the audience miss, a double entendre that's perhaps a little too subtle.

A lot to enjoy, especially like the little mini-episode at the start, a story in itself, and the episode titles go on while the action continues, but in a clowning around kind of way. It probably outstayed its welcome - 7 series, and an Australian version with the girl from "All the Rivers Run" - which for me did not quite work.

The film is a re-mangling of several early episodes I think, and this does not quite work either... but it's funny enough I suppose, very much of its time.

Quote: Geffers @ July 26 2013, 10:58 AM BST

It was definitely of its period, the girls' innocence doesn't ring true in the modern age (probably never quite did).

I'm never quite sure of the girls' innocence. In some episodes they do seem rather naive, virginal if you will - but in others there are definite hints of their being far more world-aware, and far less innocent than Patrick or Nanny might wish to believe.

I like this a lot. I bought the box because I'm in 70s classic mode and try to watch as many shows from that period as possible. But this is even better than I've expected. It took 4 whole discs before I encountered the first episode I didn't like.
The cast is great and sympathetic (incl. the dog) and the many one liners are really funny. A fantastic little show that puts a smile on my face.

This was very much "family viewing" in the 1970s.

Nothing groundbreaking or original about it (as far as I recall) but that's true about all but a handful of sitcoms.

Good writers, good cast, good everything (probably).

It's worth watching - not least because it allows us a brief visit to a bygone age when everything seemed so much nicer.

And two gorgeous daughters!

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2019, 6:29 PM

And two gorgeous daughters!

True. Very true. But the one that's supposed to be 18 looks more like 30.

Find this series to be absolutely fantastic. I find it really funny and enjoyable to watch, love the actresses, love the characters. Just a brilliant sitcom. A great series, Love it.

Also I notice some of the same actors appearing in this a few times Richard O Sullivan played 2 different characters in the show, also notice Richard Wattis playing a few different characters like a domestic agency manager, vicar and librarian. Doug Fisher and Roy Kinnear appeared in this. Same creators of shows like Man About The House, wrote this too, the writers must have loved some of these actors to appear in the other series of theirs!

Quote: Wheel @ 3rd January 2021, 1:04 AM

the writers must have loved some of these actors to appear in the other series of theirs!

True of many sitcoms. I think the writers used to get more say on casting in those days but just for the sake of not having to change the cast half way through it was useful to have actors who had been loyal to them before.