Suggestions/help

First of all hi!, Can't believe I've not come across this site before, but it's probably just the thing I've been looking for.

I've drifted along in life, stuck in a dead end job but love comedy and have done since being a teenager. I want to write a sitcom script but I'm more of an ideas man than actually constructing the script. I know what I want to happen etc, but have difficulty writing it down.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Do you have any contacts/friends/family who are established producers?

If you haven't. Set yourself a different goal because whilst it's not impossible for you to get to creating your own sitcom, it's very (x100) unlikely because really there are only 3-4 channels producing comedy/sitcoms of their own. Each time they develop a new one, they are taking a risk on the valuable time slot and their reputation. Who are you, Nick? WHO ARE YOU?! Why should they invest in you? They probably won't.

Now, you're an ideas man but not a writer? Why not learn to write scripts? We all can have ideas but they need to be put into a format or blueprint that others can understand to make these ideas a reality.

Look into producing your own stuff. Look for others that take submissions of jokes, sketches, one liners. Read everything you can about writing, read every artical, read everything you can that will give you an idea of what makes you successful.

You need to make this your life. You need to spew ideas constantly. Brainstorming, writing - always writing. Go to live comedy, go watch sitcoms being filmed. Become friends with other comedians, make contacts.

You need to work hard and you need a thick skin.

Thanks for the reply Lee.

I've done a bit of stand up and am a very well known joke writer on a well known joke website, but I've got two what I think not only unique, but very viable sitcom ideas. I did have a mate who I wrote a few comedy sketches with, but it's not the same as writing an actual script.

Having a young family and working full time, my time is limited to a couple of hours writing an evening if I'm lucky, but I know I have to give this at least one shot or I'll always be wondering "what if?

I appreciate its nigh on impossible to get scripts even seen, but that's what I'm going to try and do.

Am I ok to post ideas and what not in this forum or elsewhere on the site?

Glad you eventually got to thick skin Lee. A rhino's is like a babies bum in this industry.

Find already broadcast scripts on the net. Study them and you will see how they are finely crafted. Nobody churns them out first go.

Quote: Nick81 @ July 23 2013, 9:05 PM BST

Thanks for the reply Lee.

I've done a bit of stand up and am a very well known joke writer on a well known joke website, but I've got two what I think not only unique, but very viable sitcom ideas. I did have a mate who I wrote a few comedy sketches with, but it's not the same as writing an actual script.

Having a young family and working full time, my time is limited to a couple of hours writing an evening if I'm lucky, but I know I have to give this at least one shot or I'll always be wondering "what if?

I appreciate its nigh on impossible to get scripts even seen, but that's what I'm going to try and do.

Am I ok to post ideas and what not in this forum or elsewhere on the site?

Which website?

Or just tell us a joke

Nb as you seem unprepared to even write your scripts you are restricted to hoping someone chops your head off and posts your brain to writers room

Try writing for radio, it's probably not any easier to get commissioned but it's something that you could convince a small production company to produce, maybe to make a pilot?

Thanks for all the input guys, and it seems the best route is to look at and learn how to write scripts.

Hi Nick, welcome :)

It's great that you have the passion and dedication to finally make your dream a reality.

Now for the bad news..
There is no room for ideas people in this industry. Ideas are ten a penny. A friend of mine once had a great idea for a sitcom - told me she would give me the idea and I could write it. We would split the proceeds 50/50.

Obviously I didn't go for it. Apart from anything else, if I wanted to I could nick her idea and take all the credit. There is no copyright in ideas.

Idea is 5%, execution 95%, particularly in sitcoms, which are generally low-concept.

So - to make this work, you are going to have to get on board with this becoming a writer thing. Time, practice and reading other scripts is definitely the way to go.

In addition, I would recommend "Your Sitcom Mission - Should You Choose to Accept It" by Declan Hill, Simon Wright and Jon Vorhaus. It's on the Kindle, available from Amazon. It is a great pocket sized intro to sitcom writing, with little exercises and things to help you along.

(Declared interest: I know Declan and Simon. However, I would recommend this anyway, it really is a cracking little book).

And lastly - I don't think it's hard to get a producer to read your work. Bang out a quick email to them. But don't do it until you are 100% happy with it. Then get started on the re-write.

Good luck :)

I'm still intrigued by this mysterious joke site, is it like fight club? But with punchlines instead of punches?

Quote: Nick81 @ July 23 2013, 9:20 PM BST

Thanks for all the input guys, and it seems the best route is to look at and learn how to write scripts.

It's pretty easy to learn the format. The skill is in the characters you write, along with the narrative, plot and rhythms.

The Characters I can write, the plot I can write, it's just the breaking down what happens into a readable script.

Ah. Well, if your only issue is formatting, then download Celtx and get cracking!

It's free, and you can upload your scripts to a cloud so you can access them anywhere.

https://www.celtx.com/index.html

But I would read a few books around the subject, just to make sure you are on the right track.

I used to use and love Celtx years ago, but then they shut down their old servers and I lost loads of my early scripts :(

Quote: Lee @ July 23 2013, 9:37 PM BST

I used to use and love Celtx years ago, but then they shut down their old servers and I lost loads of my early scripts :(

That's rubbish :(

Hi,

I agree with what the others have said. Certainly the BBC aren't looking for ideas, but for writers with the skills and command of technique to produce well written scripts.

As well as the advice already given regarding learning how to write well, I'd suggest you keep exploring the standup route, it's another string to the bow as they say, and a lot of the sitcoms commisioned in recent times have been performer led. Miranda, mrs browns boys, not going out and grandma's house spring to mind. Earlier there was the office, extras, the mighty boosh, the royle family, and possibly black books as well.