Winner of four Academy Awards including Best Director (Tony Richardson), Best Adapted Screenplay (John Osbourne) and Best Picture, this raucous and innovative adaptation of Henry Fielding's classic novel is directed with a real sense of adventure. John Osbourne captures the spirit of the novel in his sophisticated screenplay and Albert Finney gives a dashing Oscar® nominated performance as the much sought-after Tom Jones, enjoying marvellous support from Joan Greenwood as Lady Bellaston and Susannah York as the wellborn Sophie Western.
The BFI is proud to showcase the new 4K digital restorations of not just the theatrical cut but of Tony Richardson's preferred 1989 director's cut, both of which were supervised by director of photography Walter Lassally.
First released: Monday 20th August 2018
- Features both the director's cut (1989) and original theatrical versions of the film
- The Guardian Interview: Albert Finney (1982, 35 mins audio only)
- Vanessa Redgrave on Tony Richardson (2017, 10mins): Vanessa Redgrave discusses Tony Richardson's career in this short interview by the Criterion Collection
- USSR Today: Meeting to Mark the 200th Anniversary of Henry Fielding (1954, 1 min)
- George Devine Memorial Play: Luther (Peter Whitehead, 1966, 7 mins)
- Walter Lassally on Tom Jones (2017, 25 mins): The Oscar-winning cinematographer discusses Tom Jones
- Stills galleries
- Original trailers
- Fully illustrated booklet with writing on the film and full film credits
If ordering from a UK store, please note that you are in Region 1 (DVD)/Region A (Blu-ray), whilst the UK is in Region 2/B, respectively. This means that many - but by no means all - may fail to play. Look for products marked "Region free", "All regions", "Region 0" or "Multi-region". Blu-rays may also be marked "Region A/B/C", or variations thereof. You may also check whether your DVD/Blu-ray player supports multi-region playback (also referred to as "region free"), or whether it can be set to do so. There should, of course, be no problems with books, CDs, or other physical items.
More advice & help on importing